Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   125 G stocking ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/125-g-stocking-ideas-111419/)

kittycat2016 08-21-2012 02:15 AM

125 G stocking ideas

Hi everyone! sorry about this, i know there ar tons of threads already asking for stocking tips, but this tank is huge. originally i bought it for my guppy breeding empire, but obviously 125 gallons of guppies is boring after a while! what i really want is to sell my guppies, and restart my tank. I would love some big fish. FRESHWATER!!! NOT BRACKISH!!! ive been looking for a while but the only ones i can find are agressive, or will get too big for the tank.

I want to know if there are any ant least semi docile, larger fish that i can have in my tank? if not then I guess ill just get hoards of small wish, but what would be best? btw, i love oddballs

Blackfeet 08-21-2012 02:42 AM

The only things that come to mind are discus, angels, and dwarf cichlids. These aren't huge but definitely larger than guppies. You also have the option of doing a combined set up with a tank that large some out of the water and some in which opens up another set of options.

kittycat2016 08-21-2012 02:57 AM

so like a paludarium?
i thought about that, but the only critters i can think of that would use the land are frogs and fiddler crabs. what other things would you suggest? what kind of fish?

Blackfeet 08-21-2012 03:45 AM

Other than those only turtles come to mind. I have no idea what it is called.

teddyzaper 08-21-2012 02:07 PM

yes a paludarium, u can do salamanders, turtles, aquatic frogs, some lizards/snakes or mudskippers (brackish). What do you mean by non agressive? if u set up the tank with a bunch of tall rocks, you could add a bunch of frontosas and they wont attack each other. Giant gourami, although that could get to big. Pictus catfish, and many other catfish like shovelnoses. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head, but there are many more

Ruskull 08-21-2012 02:13 PM

Pearl Gouramis!!! Big, graceful swimmers that would appreciate spreading their fins out in such a large tank. Vey docile as far as Gouramis go, just keep at least 2 females per male. You can also add Dwarf or Honey Gouramis to that tank as they get along well with the Pearl G's. A few pairs of Cherry Barbs would add some color & a huge school of Glass Catfish would add that weird fish factor. Few fish school as well as Glass Cats dontcha know. May even have some room left for a good school of Harlequin Rasboras.............

Man, I wish I had that tank with that stocking myself 8-)

kittycat2016 08-21-2012 02:18 PM

those sound really cool:D andif you want abig tank, go on craigslist. thats where i got mine! entiresetup with tank stand pumps filters atc for only 150!

kittycat2016 08-21-2012 02:40 PM

by non-agressive, i mean they wont tryto kill my other fish, i dont want 1 big fish that will eat everything else or need to be kept alone

Ruskull 08-21-2012 10:14 PM

No, the male Pearl will chase the female sometimes but it's more like he's hunting/playing and he never hurts her. She shows no damage and she doesn't even seem to mind! I think she likes the attention................:-P

Ruskull 08-21-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittycat2016 (Post 1208083)
those sound really cool:D andif you want abig tank, go on craigslist. thats where i got mine! entiresetup with tank stand pumps filters atc for only 150!

I'm actually looking for a 55 gallon setup with everything including a nice stand & I've been on Craigslist everyday..........LOL