Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bristlenose pleco fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bristlenose-pleco-fry-111405/)

joanolson 08-20-2012 11:01 PM

Bristlenose pleco fry

Hi, I am new to this site and looking for information. I have a 45 gal. Pentagon freshwater tank which I have had for over 12 years with various fish throughout the years. Right now I have 7 neons, 4 tetra's, and 2 bristlenose along with 8 babies. This is the first time I have ever had eggs let alone babies of any kind so I am kind of at a loss. Neither of my BN's are albino yet I have 3 albino babies. The babies are about 3 weeks old and between 1/2 - 3/4 inches long. And now, the daddy is guarding eggs again (the best I can see about a dozen). I do have a fish store that said they would take them but kind of reluctant to see them go. How big can I let them get before I should find new homes for them? How often will momma lay eggs? I am not taking them out of the main tank as they are well hidden under a rock cliff and daddy is VERY protective. That is where the babies stayed until daddy let them out and none of my other fish are much of a threat. One problem I am having though is twice now I have found a fry in my filter tank (still alive and well). I even put a netting over the pipe and can not figure out how it got into the filter tank. I am feeding them zucchini and cucumber and they seem to be doing very well. I just don't want to be over run by plecos!

joanolson 08-20-2012 11:10 PM

Pictures

2 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of daddy and a picture of 2 of the fry.

Olympia 08-20-2012 11:43 PM

They are ADORABLE! Good job!
I have no clue on selling age, or the filter thing.. If you have friends with aquariums you might want to ask them first though?

For the albino thing, it's a recessive gene. Best way I can put it... both of the parents are "Aa". The big A is the dominant gene that gives them their dark colour, but they also carry the gene for albino in them. The babies get one letter from each parent, and the ones that end up "aa" will display the albino trait. :-)

fryup 08-21-2012 01:39 AM

I breed this fish and usually get around 70 fry that I raise up to around 1CM/2CM then sell them on to pet shops both my adults are the dark colour but I get around 25 that are what I call "blue eyed yellow" colour, not albino :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device

fryup 08-21-2012 01:41 AM

. .... Oh and mine are breeding on average ever 4-5 week at any given time I can have 2 or 3 breeder boxes on the go :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device

joanolson 08-21-2012 10:21 AM

Can you tell by the picture if it is an actual albino or yellow? I don't think they have blue eyes but can't really tell yet (they look more red). I read somewhere that if there were still a lot of fry around that they really wouldn't be doing more egg laying because the daddy is still protective of the babies. I do not intend on doing any breeder boxes at all. I read that you have to take daddy out along with the eggs until they hatch and are so big then you put daddy back in main tank. I guess I will just have all different sizes in the tank going. I was really excited when this all first happened and we saw the eggs (actually I was doing a water change and sucked them up not knowing what they were...lol then put them back and then thought the male BN was trying to eat them...lol) and then the babies started appearing but now I'm a little worried that I am going to be so over run with BN fry. I don't want to get rid of either of them so I will just do my best. My tank can sustain about 45 inches of fish right? and I don't have many in it know for how big it is so I guess it will just be a pleco breeding ground...lol