Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Evil Dropsy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/evil-dropsy-11133/)

Polina 01-22-2008 03:12 PM

Evil Dropsy

Hi guys! I'm so thankful for all your help last time I posted. But I think this might be the last topic I ever post. I came on here last time because I was worried about my fish becoming bloated. She had no pinecone effect so you guys said it wasn't dropsy. But now I'm pretty sure she has dropsy. She does indeed have the pinecone effect, but I wouldn't know I'm not really a professional so I would love to have a pro look at her. But I'm afraid I don't have any connections with any. I took these pictures as best as I could with my webcam, but they still aren't that great. Hopefully you guys will be able to decipher something? I dunno. I just feel so bad. I feel funny looking at her raised scales. And her belly is white. Not just a speck but like a splotch. (there's a difference)
I guess it just wasn't meant to be.. and I know that dropsy is very hard to cure. I have an inkling that we'll be saying goodbye to her in a couple of days? :( :cry:
If that does happen.. what do I do with her .... body..?
God I felt so uncomfortable saying that. :( :( :cry:
But I guess she had a long swim..?
I bet she's suffering right now. It must be really painful for her.
But please answer my question above.
She's not gone yet.
I'm sorry I'm acting like such a drama queen, but some of you MUST know what this feels like..?
Thank you,
Polina.

Cichlidmom 01-22-2008 03:17 PM

Ohh I just added a topic because my pleco died today and I feel AWFUl !!! So, no don't feel funny, your care for your fish and that's wonderful !
I have no help to offer but I wish you the best and I truly hope your fish suvives !

okiemavis 01-22-2008 06:05 PM

Dropsy is in fact hard to treat. The best thing to do is to make sure your fish have perfect water conditions, optimal food, etc. You could also try a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Also, it sounds like you only have one fish? I wouldn't feel bad! Dropsy isn't a condition that just pops up, he must have already been carrying it before you got him. I hope your fish turns out ok, but if not, it's no reason to give up fishkeeping!

Best of luck.

Falina 01-22-2008 09:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Dropsy is near impossible to cure. The best you can do is to give her a happy life while she is still alive and make her as comfprtable as possible, or if you think she's suffering too much you can always euthanize. there's a sticky at the top of the starting and maintaining section detailing humane ways to do it.

As for the body, why don't you bury her?