Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Male to female ratio in a 10 gal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/male-female-ratio-10-gal-111249/)

jessicablahblah 08-19-2012 09:04 PM

Male to female ratio in a 10 gal?

I just recently got my first aquarium, a 10 gallon with 3 plants and a bridge and got two beautiful male guppies 2 days ago after i got the cycling process and water tests were okay. George and Mark (the guppies) are swimming around, eating and pooping. i'm planning on getting more guppies but how many females do 2 males need? Will it be too much for a 10 gal? Also what are some signs of a healthy guppy?

jaysee 08-19-2012 09:13 PM

Welcome to the forum

Do not get any more fish until your tank is fully cycled. It will be hard enough to keep the fish you have alive - more will just make it that much harder.

To answer your question - I would not get any female guppies. They will breed and quickly overpopulate the tank.

jessicablahblah 08-19-2012 09:21 PM

Thanks for the advice :)
What is fully cycled? I had it running for a month without fish and was told it was fine and fully cycled. Should I wait longer?
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 08-19-2012 10:18 PM

No. I just wasn't sure if the tank was cycled. People often say something like they cycled the tank for a week and then added fish. If the tank has completed the cycle, then it is ready for fish. If your tank is generating nitrates, then it is cycled.

jessicablahblah 08-22-2012 12:20 AM

Would it be a problem if I got all males? I have two now and if I got three more would there be any jealousy or other problems between them?
Posted via Mobile Device

jgraf 08-22-2012 04:00 AM

Get females. The males will probably fight each other or worse, try to mate with each other. So long as your tank is cycled, you can push for about 6 females, just add them slowly.

Cut down on the hiding places and the guppies will eat their own babies so mixed sex shouldn't pose an overpopulation problem.

1077 08-22-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgraf (Post 1209235)
Get females. The males will probably fight each other or worse, try to mate with each other. So long as your tank is cycled, you can push for about 6 females, just add them slowly.

Cut down on the hiding places and the guppies will eat their own babies so mixed sex shouldn't pose an overpopulation problem.

This is not true.
Six Adult female guppies could easily produce three or four hundred fry in but a few month's, and even with predation by Adult's, the 10 gal tank would be seriously over crowded= probable sick fish.
Males will fight and nip at each other, but they would not be able to rproduce and thus the water in the small 10 gal will stay more manageable/stable.

jessicablahblah 08-22-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1209273)
This is not true.
Six Adult female guppies could easily produce three or four hundred fry in but a few month's, and even with predation by Adult's, the 10 gal tank would be seriously over crowded= probable sick fish.
Males will fight and nip at each other, but they would not be able to rproduce and thus the water in the small 10 gal will stay more manageable/stable.

So no females just males? Would it be a problem if I got a small seperate tank for any surviving fry and gave them away to the petstore or a friend to help over population after awhile?
Posted via Mobile Device

jessicablahblah 08-22-2012 08:32 AM

Oh and in that situation I'm talking about if I got 4 females not 6 :/
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 08-22-2012 08:48 AM

Yes,another 10gal cycled,heated,filtered tank for fry until they are large enough to sell/ trade would work.
No critter keeper's,bowl's,jar's.(death traps)