Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   my sitster made me buy a goldfish. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/my-sitster-made-me-buy-goldfish-111222/)

allaboutfish 08-19-2012 07:39 PM

my sitster made me buy a goldfish.

so i walked in walmart to try and find some julii corys for the one i bought at petco(couldnt find any!!) and she walks over to the goldfish and makes me fall in love with this little calico fantail goldfish. it has these big eyes and a mostly white body and it is soooooo cute. anyway i ended up buying it which i shouldnt have but i do have a 20 that im going to get rid of the fish in there (probably sell). anyway would one do ok in a 20 long? also what kind of aquascape do they like? also i know they need a lot of filteration but what should i get for this tank? it already has a aquatech 10-20 on it. also do they need a hood? i was going to make it a riparium if not. with lucky bamboo if it wouldnt get eatin. also is sinking medium pellets ok? i know floating is bad. any other info would be appreciated.

jaysee 08-19-2012 08:02 PM

While the tank might be fine now, assuming the fish is still small, it will not be for long. It is not a suitable long term home. You've been in the hobby long enough to know better than to buy a fish you aren't sure you can keep.

goldfish are not known to be jumpers, so no a hood is not required. The NLS pellets are a good diet.

allaboutfish 08-19-2012 08:05 PM

ok ive always heard 20 for one and 10 for each additional. could i do 4 in my 55 and maybe a dojo loach?

jaysee 08-19-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutfish (Post 1205890)
ok ive always heard 20 for one and 10 for each additional. could i do 4 in my 55 and maybe a dojo loach?

Yes, that's what people who don't keep goldfish say. Yes, you could do 4 in the 55, but you may find you want to upgrade them to a 90 at some point. Dojo loaches are group oriented so you would need to get several of them.

Olympia 08-19-2012 08:09 PM

Agree. -sigh- If my family had their way with what goes into my tank my 90 would have a bunch of piranha and a black ghost knife. DON'T LET THEM WIN. They don't know anything about fish (assumption)!
Regular fantails... I believe they are one of the bigger fancy varieties, which I know some can reach 10" if I'm not mistaken. I'd get an aquaclear for sure, rated big, that fish will need an upgrade sometime.
Don't do any aquascaping, maybe a few plastic plants.. You want to leave as much open water (and water volume) as possible for the thing to move around. They're not shy, they don't need cover like most fish.

allaboutfish 08-19-2012 08:20 PM

could i do the dojos? how many? also why would i want to upgrade to a 90? could i do the lucky bamboo along the back or would they eat it?

allaboutfish 08-19-2012 08:21 PM

by the way the fantails get about 6in give or take.

allaboutfish 08-19-2012 08:23 PM

also could i put these 3 minnows i have with them? theyre fishing minnows. shinners i guess. i dont know what to do with them if not bc i wanna take their tank down.

Olympia 08-19-2012 08:28 PM

I never said upgrade to a 90 gallon. ;-)
You could probably do a couple dojos, not sure how big of groups they like however.
With the lucky bamboo, it's fine as long as the leaves stick out of the water. It's a pretty foul tasting plant, I don't think they'd eat leaves and definitely not stems. If fully submerged it will eventually die. A lot of gardening stores sell really tall stalks of it nowadays.
The minnows should be fine for now, but may become lunch later on depending on how big they are. Minnows get a good size though so it might work out in the long run even..

allaboutfish 08-19-2012 08:43 PM

ok ill just do the minnows and 4 fantails. cover the back with lucky bambo and maybe a couple of rock caves or a single piece of driftwood. would one penn plax cascade 700 and 2 aquaclear 70s be good filteration?