Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Ich!!! HELP!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ich-help-111167/)

f4vryoung 08-19-2012 10:14 AM

Ich!!! HELP!!!

I am at best a novice at fish tank care. I recently restarted my 50 gal tank.
I had a rainbow shark and an albino shark alone for some time. Last week I added a pleco, 3 skirts, and 3 tetras.

Within a few days I noticed the skirts had ich. Yesterday the sharks both died so I added some salt (maybe too much) and by evening the pleco was dead too.

I added Formalite II last night, but I can't find the box that tells me how often or how to treat (all the bottle says is 1 drop per gallon, but not how often or what to do next ... water changes etc?)

Please help before everyone else goes belly up!!!!

nicolaas 08-19-2012 11:39 AM

Rays your temp to 30C() and it will go a way.

And welcome to TFK.

nicolaas 08-19-2012 11:47 AM

What ever tetras you have get more at least 6 of each!

jaysee 08-19-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolaas (Post 1205361)
Rays your temp to 30C() and it will go a way.

And welcome to TFK.

A large water change and the addition of carbon is needed before raising the temperature.

Have you tried looking online for the directions?

sidluckman 08-19-2012 01:00 PM

Go online and look up an instruction page for the medication you have. Generally you remove carbon from filters prior to treatment so the active ingredient in the medication isn't filtered out as soon as you put it in. Tetras and cats are sensitive to ich medications. Recommendations are to use them at half-strength with such fish or not at all. Be very careful treating these. Raising temp will help by accelerating the life cycle of the parasite, but it won't eliminate the swimming stage (tomites). Salt is of limited use. Aquarisol is a safer med I have used with much success, even so I did lose tetras when treating with this. Add to that, some states now forbid the sale of these chemicals, so Ich meds are getting harder to find in some places. Perform a water change and add new carbon to your filter after successful treatment to remove medication. Ideally, all treatments with medications should take place in a hospital tank. Malachite Green and Methylene Blue are absolutely deadly to plants. You will have nothing but slush left if you have live plants in the tank. These chemicals also permanently stain aquarium sealant, decor, rocks, artificial plants, carpeting, bathtubs, hardwood floors. Be careful.

Sorry you lost your sharks, however, it is not recommended to have more than one Redtail, Rainbow, Albino or otherwise in a single tank. Trust me: I tried having two even in a 125, and that still wasn't enough space for two sharks. If you replace, only get one. Keep in mind,too, that a shark will be territorial with other substrate oriented fish you may want to add--cory cats, loaches-- so be forewarned.

Quarantining new fish works 100% of the time, but is used only about 10% of the time.

Live and learn. But please learn.

jaysee 08-19-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidluckman (Post 1205452)
Generally you remove carbon from filters prior to treatment so the active ingredient in the medication isn't filtered out as soon as you put it in.

Yup, but since the OP was advised in a post to do a heat treatment, carbon would need to be added to remove the medication prior to raising the temp. That's why I quoted the post, to clarify.

sidluckman 08-19-2012 01:26 PM

Gotcha. Didn't intend to contradict. I had only picked up on the fact that he'd medicated the tank already and I generally like to see one treatment through at a time. The salt didn't do much for the sharks or the Pleco, so I thought best to slow down a bit. . .

I nearly bought some loaches a couple days ago, but stopped when I saw an ambiguous looking white spot on the tail of one fish. I thought, if it is ICH, i don't want to take the risk of having to treat a bunch of expensive scaleless fish, first thing. Fact is, there is no easy sure-fire way to treat some of these more delicate fish for ich, and I will always urge quarantine above all else for tetras and loaches.

f4vryoung 08-19-2012 04:22 PM

I have already added the Formalite II, but I can't find instructions online as to when to do a 2nd dose, or a water change, or when I can add the filters back?

Link??

jaysee 08-19-2012 04:32 PM

I agree, it's best to see one treatment through to the end rather than jump from one to the next.

I've got a bunch of loaches and other scaleless and sensitive fish and find the heat treatment to be a sure fire cure. Ich is very easy to treat compared to most other ailments. If there was a fish that I really wanted, and it had a few ich spots, I would still buy it since I treat all new fish for ich while in quarantine anyway.

I did a google search of the med you used and didn't find much.... which is not encouraging IMO. Quick cure is my preferred med - I would use their dosage as a guideline if you are unable to come up with the instructions for your med.

http://www.petguys.com/-042781008000.html

sidluckman 08-19-2012 06:13 PM

I usually agree about purchasing fish that look good otherwise. I quarantine, and where marine fish are concerned, Ich is a snap to cure if they are in isolation.

In a way it was good that I did not buy the loaches. They were tiger Botias, which are beautiful but somewhat aggressive, get large, need soft substrate to burrow in and a big tank. None of which I can provide right now.

And I wanted to read up on them before I bought them. So it was sort of lucky, in a way. I would still one day like to own some, but don't you get sick of these stories where people buy a fish with nowhere to house it, so they wedge it in with something they already have until they can rustle up a new tank. Meanwhile, the new fish eat the old fish or the new fish infect the old fish. It's a disaster. I mean, before you buy a fish, you gotta have a tank for it!!