Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Day 14 in cycle, still no ammonia. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/day-14-cycle-still-no-ammonia-111134/)

KrisPriewe 08-18-2012 10:04 PM

Day 14 in cycle, still no ammonia.

Hello everyone!
I'm a new member and this is my first post. I am on day 14 in my fishless cycle and have little to no ammonia showing up. I am adding a pinch of fish flakes and testing for ammonia each day per my lfs. I don't know how much more information you need but I am at a loss here. I know I need to be patient but obviously its sooooo hard to just sit and watch:cry::. Please help! I would appreciate all the positive advise I can get.

Here is my current setup:
30 gal long
Aqueon Quiet Flow 50
Top Fin 150 watt heater at approx 84 degrees
Marineland LED single bright w/lunar effect
And 4 live plants, can't think of the names right now.
I plan on adding more when the tank is cycled and ready for fish.

Mikaila31 08-18-2012 11:57 PM

I would try adding more food or a large dinner shrimp to speed up the process. If your interested in mature media or plants shoot me a PM.

smit3183 08-19-2012 07:04 AM

What kind of plants do you have in there? If you have enough healthy fast growing plants you bypass the cycle granted you stock slowly. Add a few more plants and I would start adding fish. I wish I knew about this method when I started. I had a nightmare trying to cycle my tank. The plants eat up the ammonia as it is there source of food.

Tazman 08-19-2012 08:13 AM

Temperature is a little high try keeping it around 78F

A 30g tank adding just a pinch of flake food is going to take forever to cycle (cycles can take 6-8 weeks), if you can, look in your local hardware store for pure ammonia (the type which doesnt! foam when shaken).

Fishless cycle with ammonia is one of the best ways to cycle a tank as it creates a huge amount of beneficial bacteria. You dose the tank daily with ammonia to around 4ppm, once you start to see Nitrites, then lower the dose to half your original (2ppm) until the nitrites spike. Once the nitrites spike, re dose the tank to 4ppm, your tank is cycled once the initial dose of ammonia is ALL converted to nitrate within 24 hours.

Try adding as mentioned more food or a frozen shrimp in a mesh bag or stocking, this will decompose, can be quite messy and smelly but works the same way as ammonia.

You can read up on the different methods in this guide.

A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle

AbbeysDad 08-19-2012 09:06 AM

I think Taz meant pure ammonia that does NOT foam - Taz? (you want pure ammonia that does not have fragrant additives).

Makaila often has great advice, but I have to disagree with adding a shrimp. I tried that when I cycled my 60g. The water got very, very cloudy and my living room smelled very badly of rotten, dead fish. You can't imagine how happy (not) my wife of 38 (almost NOT 39) years was!!! LOL. Proceed at your own risk.

Also, unless you have a friend with an established, healthy aquarium, for a modest cost, I recommend one of the bio-seed products on the market. Tetra SafeStart, Seachem Stability, API QuickStart to name just a few.

Tazman 08-19-2012 09:20 AM

Thanks for pointing that out!

Absolutely is the type which does NOT foam when shaken.

KrisPriewe 08-19-2012 10:41 AM

First of all thank you all for such a fast response. I will be heading to the store today to get some PURE ammonia. Thank you Tazman for the information this will be very helpfull. As for the shrimp idea, one thing I did not mention was that I just got married a month ago and would NOT like to divorce quite yet lol. About the temperature, I was told to turn it up promote bacteria growth (it has since been turned down to 78ish).
I read somewhere on this forum that for a 30 Gallon tank the amount of ammonia i start out with is somewhere around .5 oz? Correct me if I am wrong. Then down to .25 when nitrite spike?
I have always been willing to be patient in times like this but I can't stand to sit and watch my water do nothing. Its soon tough. Lol
Thanks again for all your help guys and keep the suggestions coming

Mikaila31 08-19-2012 11:39 AM

Ace hardware has ammonia that will work for cycling.

As far as how you cycle, each to their own. The powers that be have ruined my every attempt at a fishless cycle using ammonia, no matter the shortcuts I try lol.

Tazman 08-19-2012 06:46 PM

Dose to 4-5ppm using a liquid test kit to check it and then reduce it to 2ppm when you see Nitrites.

Olympia 08-19-2012 08:17 PM

I hope this helps you figure out how much ammonia you need. 30 gallons is about 114 liters. :-)
Ammonia calculator