Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   natural enviroment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/natural-enviroment-11105/)

LincolnS 01-21-2008 08:26 PM

natural enviroment

I was curious as to how to get a natural enviroment for my tank.
I have 2 angelfish, 3 otos a pleco, an add corydora, and a mystery snail. Any ideas for the most natural set up including lighting plants n rocks to hide in and substrates? Also would a natural enviroment even make the fish less stressful or no?

Thanks in advance

LincolnS 01-21-2008 08:26 PM

Also i can trade in the otos, corydora and or snail to make a better compatibility if need be.

Falina 01-21-2008 09:02 PM

The msytery snail needs a ph of 7.5 or above and very hard water whereas the rest prefer softer softer waters and may or may not handle the hard water the msytery snail needs.

Otherwise the fish are compatable, but cories prefer to be in groups of 6 or more or they tend to become quite unhappy, especially kept as only a single fish.

What size of tank is this? We'll need to know before we can offer different suggestins if you want to trade some of your fish.

LincolnS 01-22-2008 07:58 AM

its a 29 gallon. I've gotten the cory at least 4 other corys and all die within a few days :(

Falina 01-22-2008 07:05 PM

2 angels could work in a 29g as long as the tank is MINIMUM 18" high so i wouldn't recommend it. I just feel they ned more space.

Cories do prefer larger groups so it may be worth your while getting more once you figure out the paoblem. Was the tank fully cycled? What were you water parameters at the time? What species of cory were they as some are more sensitive than others?

jeaninel 01-22-2008 09:55 PM

Hi,
I would do a sand substrate (cories love sand), lots of live plants and driftwood. I've not kept them before but I've heard that ottos need live plants and lots of algae.

LincolnS 01-23-2008 05:23 AM

thanks everyone for the help so far :)

I used julii(sp?) corydoras.
It was after the tank was fully cycled and no other fish were affected by this including neon tetras, a snail, fancy gups, and a plec. I'd put one in and a few days later itd turn up dead. I even tried an older one, as i figured it had a better chance of living.

Parameters were 7.6,0,0,0 as well.

Cant get my tap water to 7 before i put any fish in so i kinda gave up on that :P I dont adjust it if there in there.

Falina 01-23-2008 05:35 AM

The water is a little hard for cories, but most tank-bred species should do fine is acclimated properly.

What tst kit are you using? you reading look a bit suspect. I assue the three 0s are for amonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so then you tank either hasn't started cycling, but you say it has, or there is a problem with the test kit. Were you using strips? If so then they are very inaccurate and I'd recommend a liquid master kit which tests for all 4 of the parameters. In a cycled tank there will be a reading for nitrate above 5, and should be less than 40 if you keep up the water changes.

MattD 01-23-2008 12:49 PM

I suspect there are acclimation issues with the cories.

I once was in a supreme rush to acclimate group of 4 cories - only 2 survived the transition. The problem is, most lfs's have hard water in their tanks, and the shock from moving them from potentially a 8 - 8.5 ph environment to my 7 ph really shocked them, I think.

Proper acclimation will almost guarantee their survival, imo. Although there are some issues I've found with cory cats that I can't figure out. They're very skittish when not in a larger group, and become far more prone to maladies. What I've noticed is one or two will become quite reclusive, staying away from the main group. Within a week or so, you will find that cory dead. In my experience, anyway.

Good luck.

LincolnS 01-23-2008 02:31 PM

i am using a master test kit for freshwater..im not sure of the brand but some increments (such as nitrates) go in higher intervals..i know nitrates are in increments of 40. Not sure of the others off the top of my head. How else can you acclimate a fish besides floating the bag? haha i may be forgetting something crucial :(

thanks again