Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Depth of sand to lb ratio (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/depth-sand-lb-ratio-110912/)

wake49 08-16-2012 07:50 AM

Depth of sand to lb ratio

Good morning,

Does anyone have a good conversion for pounds of live sand to cubic inches or cubic feet? I am looking to do a 4" sand bed in a 16 gallon nano I am starting and can't remember the conversion (if I ever knew it. It might have been trial and error for me, lol).

Thanks for any help.

Reefing Madness 08-16-2012 09:29 AM

Sand Bed Calculator

wake49 08-16-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1201860)

Thanks. I found a few online and was getting mixed results. 40 lbs+ was the mean, but some were saying almost 60! I figured maybe someone would remember how many bags it took to get to their current sand depth.

I think that I will throw two bags in there. I am doing 25 lbs of dry rock and will pick up some rubble to seed it. I am figuring a 16 gallon nano with a couple of clowns, a few gobies and maybe another small centerpiece fish. I am not looking to fill it with fish persay, and I will probably do softies and polyps as corals.

I will be running an empty canister Fluval 204 (or 205, I don't remember the model) and a Hydor 240 nano for circulation. I think I will be throwing carbon and rock rubble in the empty Fluval in lieu of a skimmer.

Reefing Madness 08-16-2012 02:13 PM

Good luck. Your stocking list is already to big, considering rock and sand depth, yiur not going to have a lot of room for fish, and ones rated for a larger system right off the bat.

wake49 08-16-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1202140)
Good luck. Your stocking list is already to big, considering rock and sand depth, yiur not going to have a lot of room for fish, and ones rated for a larger system right off the bat.

Thanks.

I think that a pair of False Percs and a Yasha (or Wheeler's Shrimp or Catalina Goby) would do ok in a tank this size. Neither of those fish tend to swim more than a few inches at time. I am not looking to put more than three fish in the tank. I can understand that my previous post eluded to that, I misworded it. I apologize for that, but I was really looking for suggestions on what fish will accent this tank well. While I appreciate your advisement of what not to do, I would appreciate stocking suggestions as well.

If it were fish that needed to really "swim" and not essentially hover in one area, I would reconsider the size of this tank. But I do feel comfortable with the selection I mentioned in this post. I do understand the lingo, so don't think it necessary to dumb down any suggestions you have. I have kept various saltwater tanks over the past few years from 20 to 150 gallons and feel I have the know-how to acheive success in this tank.

Thanks again for all your help.

wake49 08-16-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Tank details: 240g Mixed Reef. List gettin a bit long
http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/...eefingMadness/
Nice looking tank by the way...

onefish2fish 08-16-2012 05:01 PM

skip the catalina goby unless you plan on running a chiller, they only survive long term in cooler water

wake49 08-16-2012 07:01 PM

Thanks Jon. How you been?

onefish2fish 08-17-2012 01:03 AM

living the dream :wink: good to see you back around, hope your doing well too. please keep us updated with a tank thread if ya could.

and if you want my input on fish, go with the clowns, yasha and a pistol shrimp. with this size tank and sandbed i personally think the shrimp and goby will be a perfect "centerpiece"

wake49 08-17-2012 10:07 AM

Thanks. All is well. My wife and I just celebrated the birth of our second child: Warren Emerson. He is eleven weeks old this Sunday.

I forgot about the Yasha/Pistol combo. I think I will go that route with a couple of False Percs.

This tank was a Q tank I had before my 150 nuked when we had that power outage here in CT last year. I lost everything, so I sold off the 150 and almost all my equipment. My wife was happy with the $75 a month reduction in the electric bill, lol...

I ordered sand, rock, a Hydor nano powerhead, a 100w heater and a thermometer from Fosters yesterday. I assume it will get here next week. The rock is "reef-friendly" or "zero-impact" according to Fosters, so I think that means it was not harvested from our depleting reef system. Do you think the live sand would be enough to seed it, or should I get some seasoned live rock? I have a buddy running a 30 reef and a 90 FO that I am sure he would let me borrow something from (I just don't want any bad hitchhikers from his tank)... I personally feel the sand would be good enough, but let me know your input on it.

I figure I will be running this tank for at least a month before I put an animal in it. I plan on trying for mostly aquacultured creatures, but I don't know the reality of that with a pistol shrimp/goby combo.

I do plan on low-light corals, mostly polyps and softies, maybe an LPS (that would be down the road). Do you think a fixture like Dual T5HO will work, or should I go to the Quad T5HO? I know that more watts per gallon are always a good thing, but I don't want to overpower the tank...

Thanks again!