Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   What can I keep in a 34g? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/what-can-i-keep-34g-11090/)

Twitch 01-21-2008 04:02 PM

What can I keep in a 34g?

I've picked out what tank I'm going to get as my first SW tank. Its a 34g with all the filter equipment built-in on the back. It does not come with lighting so I'll have to figure out what I'll need for it.

My question is, what can I keep in a 34g as far as inverts and such? Any corals? Clams? Crabs? ect?

And what kind of lighting would I have to use for what you suggest? I haven't gotten the tank yet. Its $350 and I only have about $120 of it saved up. I probably won't be adding anything other than live rock until this summer most likely.

Twitch 01-22-2008 04:16 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

squiggles1 01-23-2008 07:04 PM

i am setting up a 30g soon as wel. i plan to put lots of turbo snails, blue legged hermit crabs, scarlet hermits, emerald crabs, a coral banded shrimp and stuff like that for a cleaner crew. peppermint shrimp are good as well. not sure about clams, never had them. we're going to get coral eventually. we are going to get 2 96w bulbs for the tank so alot of watts per gallon.

redsoxbill 01-30-2008 03:45 PM

There are many possibilities for what you can place in a 37 gallon tank. the rule of thumb if one inch of fish per gallon of water. for this rule of thumb to work the definition of a fish is any living animal in the tank. The other rule is that you cannot measure a fish by it's length at time of purchase. You have to measure the fish by the average length at adulthood. A very common problem people have is that they buy a small fish, and when it grows up it creates a biological problem due to the increased size and waste it produces.

There are many variables with this rule and includes the type of filtration, type of substrate (sand and liverock) and weather you are interested in a reef tank or a fish only tank. As far as inverts go, I would recommend that you start with 25 as a total number, but you divide that number into snails, hermits, starfish, crabs, etc.

My final advice is that you look at getting a used tank by looking in the local fish stores, forums, and a great source is Craigslist. there is often times when you can find a great deal at less than 50% of the purchase price of a new system.

That's my 2 cents worth for what it's worth. Hope you have a great time and enjoy the hobby.

Thanks,
Bill (redsoxbill)

Lemeshianos 01-31-2008 05:08 AM

Newbie alert :lol:

Well as a newbie that spend the last month reading, I don't think that a used tank is a good idea.You don't know what the previous owner used(for example he might have used a copper treatment which won't let you keep any corals or inverts.

redsoxbill: when you say an inch per gallon, do you have to keep in mind that live rock and subtrate will make the actual water less than what it would be if you just calculated by the dimensions of the tank?

So if it was just water then we get volume x.
With live rock and subtrate the actual volume is y.
I add livestock depending on the y volume right?

You also suggested 25 cleaning crew members for 37 gallons.Should I use that ration when I'll stock a 100 gl tank?
75 cleaning crew critters?

bobo 01-31-2008 05:45 AM

if i remember correctly i read somewhere that you have about 1 snail and 1 hermit per gallon. eevntualy some will die out etc etc.

redsoxbill 02-01-2008 08:00 AM

Lemeshianos, I agree that you should only count the water that is actually used (i.e. gallons) remember that if the tank also uses a sump, then you can use the water gallons that are included in the sump as well. this also just a rule of thumb, and can be adjusted based on type of fish, and overall water qualirty.

As far as the clean-up crew goes, you want to add clean-up cresw over time, and the ratio will work itself out. if you don't have enough then your tank will eventually show the signs, if you ahve to many, then you will have some empty shells.

As far as a used tank goes, it depends on personnal preference. When I have bought used equipment in the past I ask alot of questions about prior use, how long it has been in storage, any chips, cracks or defects, and I also look at overall condition of equipment. Used tanks can save you alot of money, that you can utilize on better filtration, and or lighting.

Again, this is free advice, and it is worth what you pay for it. I am new to forum, but have over 18 years in saltwater and reef tank experience. I also know that the initial cost, is overwelming to alot of new saltwater tank keepers, and any advice to save money is more they can use to upgrade equipment.

Thanks,
Bill (redsoxbill)