Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   diy skimmer questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/diy-skimmer-questions-110757/)

92smokeaccord 08-14-2012 04:41 PM

diy skimmer questions
 
im going to be building this soon and i have a few questions
Aquaria Central > DIY > Protein Skimmer

now this is going to be used on my 125 and i want to make sure its going to be skimming what it should or be more.i have 3 3000cc air pumps floating around and 4 wood air stones.now in this diy it shows useing 4inch and 2 inch piping.i did some math and it would just pass for a 100 gallon set up with 1 wood air stone.now i want to kinda over kill this in cause i do up grade to a 200 gallon plus system.only problem is i dont kno what i would have to make bigger.so here is what i am thinking.move the pipe sizes up to 6 inch wide and 3 inch centers with all 4 air stones i have.does anyone think this will work or just be a wast of time.in my head im thinking bigger pipes means wore water flow and a better " motor/pump and more stones" will make for more reaktions and doing more of the job its intended to do.at this moment in time i dont have money on for a professionall skimmer cause i bought a light and dug a hole with the wife..anyway im limited to $60 to 80 for a diy set up thats gonna have to last some time.....any input is welcome but please dont tell me to buy a nice skimmer cause i wont/cant listen right now to it.thanks

Reefing Madness 08-14-2012 07:02 PM

Welp, if you can't listen to it right now, I'll refrain from answering until you can.
Because that setup isn't good enough for a 20g setup, airstones don't do crap.

92smokeaccord 08-14-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1199737)
Welp, if you can't listen to it right now, I'll refrain from answering until you can.
Because that setup isn't good enough for a 20g setup, airstones don't do crap.

or so how about a powerhead setup one then i have a few of those too.

Reefing Madness 08-14-2012 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope. You may get away with the DIY pvc itself, but the pump is the biggest part of a skimmer. I can steer you in a good direction of makin a good DIY skimmer pump, but its gonna be like $50. I figured out how to make a Reef Octopus pump knock off.
740 GPH Submersible Water Pump Powerhead Pond Aquarium Fountain Reef Coral CSA | eBay
You'll need a pump about like this one. Drill a hole just for the 1/4" air line, right above center. You don't want it dead center or you'll mess up the impellar shaft. Stick in the air line. Take the impellar out, and you'll need a dremel using a small cutting disk. You'll cut notches in the impellar blades, so it looks like a Needle Wheel Impellar. You'll cut 3 notches in each blade. Or you can try this DIY.

Attachment 62631

92smokeaccord 08-15-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1199908)
Nope. You may get away with the DIY pvc itself, but the pump is the biggest part of a skimmer. I can steer you in a good direction of makin a good DIY skimmer pump, but its gonna be like $50. I figured out how to make a Reef Octopus pump knock off.
740 GPH Submersible Water Pump Powerhead Pond Aquarium Fountain Reef Coral CSA | eBay
You'll need a pump about like this one. Drill a hole just for the 1/4" air line, right above center. You don't want it dead center or you'll mess up the impellar shaft. Stick in the air line. Take the impellar out, and you'll need a dremel using a small cutting disk. You'll cut notches in the impellar blades, so it looks like a Needle Wheel Impellar. You'll cut 3 notches in each blade. Or you can try this DIY.

Attachment 62631

i have a power head pump that actually has a valve on the spout that alows air in and create a crap ton of bubbles. will it work similar to the one you made?

i have this
Maxi Jet | Powerhead | Multi Use Water Pumps From Marineland

Reefing Madness 08-15-2012 07:05 PM

No, it won't work like the one I posted. You have to modify the impellar, thats what chews the air into a frothy foam. I've had the powerhead with air intake, thats not even close.

92smokeaccord 08-15-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1201197)
No, it won't work like the one I posted. You have to modify the impellar, thats what chews the air into a frothy foam. I've had the powerhead with air intake, thats not even close.

it says i need to drill a hole in the center bun not dead center..where do i have to put the hole?

Reefing Madness 08-15-2012 09:46 PM

Just above dead center, you don't have to be exact. You just don't want the air line running into the impellar shaft. Maybe drill 1/4" above the center line. Big enough for air line to fit through.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2