Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   3 gallon picotope build (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/3-gallon-picotope-build-110755/)

hotshotdevil32 08-14-2012 04:32 PM

3 gallon picotope build

Hey guys so I have decieded to start work on what will be my second aquarium. Currently I have a 72 gallon reef aquarium and after making money from a summer job I have decieded to try my hand at a pico aquarium. I am hoping to keep this tank within a budget of 150$ dollars not including corals. As I have been doing research I have found that there are many different upgrades people add to their tanks and it has been a bit intimidating. Would I be able to get by with just.

JBJ 3 gallon picotope (41.99)*
Aquatop's 15-Watt Nano Aquarium Heater (14.99)
Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand Original 5 lb (9.49)

onefish2fish 08-14-2012 07:48 PM

your going to need rock unless thats going to come out of your 72 gallon tank. if memory serves me right, the lighting on this tank will also need to be upgraded for corals. what will you use for water flow? what are your stocking plans?

hotshotdevil32 08-14-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 1199818)
your going to need rock unless thats going to come out of your 72 gallon tank. if memory serves me right, the lighting on this tank will also need to be upgraded for corals. what will you use for water flow? what are your stocking plans?

I am going to purchase 5 pounds of new live rock for this tank along with an 1 1/2" live sand bed. The lighting in this tank is 9watts so 3wpg should be enough for the corals I am planning on keeping I think. I am only planning on keeping a few mushrooms, a zoa colony, and a kenya tree. The tank comes with a 40gph stock filter will this be enough for just the corals?

onefish2fish 08-15-2012 09:22 AM

that sounds good. if you were going with hard corals you would probably need more flow and lighting but this sounds like it would work nice. if you see more flow or lighting needed you can always add to what you have.

im assuming this will be a stand alone tank and not tied into your other system? will it have an ATO? ( auto top off ) for water evaporation? are you planning any inverts?

hotshotdevil32 08-16-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 1200471)
that sounds good. if you were going with hard corals you would probably need more flow and lighting but this sounds like it would work nice. if you see more flow or lighting needed you can always add to what you have.

im assuming this will be a stand alone tank and not tied into your other system? will it have an ATO? ( auto top off ) for water evaporation? are you planning any inverts?

Yeah no hard corals for me! This tank will be completely stand alone although occasionally I may frag corals from the pico and place them in the main tank. Could I do a DIY auto top off for a relatively low price? I am not really looking into inverts cause I want to keep the tank as simple as possible. Maybe I would add something that could survive primarily from the micro fauna in the LV