Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Help choosing canister filter for 55gal freshwater tropical (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/help-choosing-canister-filter-55gal-freshwater-110699/)

eli2k 08-14-2012 12:30 AM

Help choosing canister filter for 55gal freshwater tropical

Hi everyone, I'm trying to set up a freshwater tropical aquarium for a friend. It'll be a 55 gallon tank. I used to use the old Marineland Magum 350 canister filter (Canister Filter | Magnum 350 Canister Filter for Everyday Filtration). This was ten years ago. It was nice but a bit difficult to work with; just had the carbon inside and a filter sleeve outside. I'm thinking of sticking with a canister filter but from a different company this time.

I've scoped out the Eheim 250, which seems to only use pads, but it was unclear whether you can replace the pads with the ceramic bio materials or not. The other option is a Rena Filstar XP2, which seems to use pads and various biomaterials. The other company I noticed was the Fluval 306, which is similar to the other ones, but pricier.

I'm looking for something easy to maintain and quiet. What do you guys recommend from the above. I'm aware everyone has their own preference, but it would be helpful to hear what everyone thinks of each of these systems and what they do not like about it. Even though the Eheim is not designed for bio-media, can you just throw it in there? And can bio-media be used interchangeably between different manufacturers?

Thanks.

eli2k 08-14-2012 01:17 AM

Actually I looked at reviews on all three and think will go with Eheim 2213. :)

eug 08-14-2012 02:03 AM

I have the one size smaller, the 2211, and it does work well with a tried-and-tested design. If you go with the Eheim Classic you will probably want to get yourself some double tap connectors for easier maintenance:
Eheim Double Tap Connector

I cleaned mine for the first time yesterday and it was messy, with dirty water flying everywhere. I've already ordered the connectors so the next time won't be so much of a hassle.

eli2k 08-14-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eug (Post 1198801)
I have the one size smaller, the 2211, and it does work well with a tried-and-tested design. If you go with the Eheim Classic you will probably want to get yourself some double tap connectors for easier maintenance:
Eheim Double Tap Connector

I cleaned mine for the first time yesterday and it was messy, with dirty water flying everywhere. I've already ordered the connectors so the next time won't be so much of a hassle.

Oh thanks! Thought they would be included. This looks like it's just for one set, so have to buy two, right? Pricey..

actually on Amazon it says Equipped with filter sponges and/or loose filter media; Accessories included: spray bar, inlet pipe, hose and installation accessories; Comes complete with filter media (EHEIM Mech & Substrat Pro) and valves.

eug 08-14-2012 02:47 AM

Ah, it could be that the bigger filters come with the valves included, in which case you're all set. :)

beetlebz 08-14-2012 10:51 PM

I run the Ecco series 2236. If you wanted to spend a few extra bucks the similar sized Ecco (2234) is around 130 bucks. Comes with valves, self priming, been a great performer. The piece of equipment I own that I've touched the least is easily that filter. Otoh I've never used th classics, and that many people can't be wrong!

eli2k 08-15-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 1200122)
I run the Ecco series 2236. If you wanted to spend a few extra bucks the similar sized Ecco (2234) is around 130 bucks. Comes with valves, self priming, been a great performer. The piece of equipment I own that I've touched the least is easily that filter. Otoh I've never used th classics, and that many people can't be wrong!

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think priming will be much of a problem. Not going to be changing it every month, and the classic is well enjoyed by many people (based on reviews).

beetlebz 08-15-2012 07:39 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 08-15-2012 09:31 AM

Fish Canister External 5 Stage Filter Pump For Aquarium Pump Fish Tank New 813373011746 | eBay