Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New 55gal - filtering questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-55gal-filtering-questions-110622/)

ashokantony 08-13-2012 10:25 AM

New 55gal - filtering questions

Hello All,

I got a great deal on this 55gal flat back hex acrylic tank, canopy and stand. Eagerly took it back home and then I noticed that the drills arent what usually are. On the top, usually there would be a 2 slots for lights, 2 holes on the corners for heaters, air tubing and a long rectangular opening for filter tubes, etc.

In this tank, the filter opening is not there. I just have the corner holes and the light slots. I couldn't fix a HOB or canister filters. The tank came with UGF. I am planning for 2 of the Fluval U4 underwater filters. These filters have a small box that holds floss. I am planning to use one filter's box for floss and the other filter's box for charcoal. I guess that should take care of it.

What do you guys think? How would be rate these underwater filters? The ratings and reviews on amazon seem to be mixed and everywhere i read, it says these are "additional or supplemental" filters.

I am planning to use the tank for tropical fish only. Some cory cats, mollies, guppies and may be a school of tigers. Around 20 to 25 fishes.

Absntmind 08-13-2012 03:14 PM

Personally I would go with a canister filter or HOB, especially if you are not going to be adding any plants. You can always take a hole saw to the canopy to run hoses or even a hacksaw. You should also consider using a medium in the filter for biological filtration. Byron wrote an article in the Freshwater Articles section of this site about freshwater bacteria, it would be worth reading.

You mention those filters are supplemental filters, which is true. They are not meant to be the sole means of filtration in a large tank. As for the UGF, IMO they aren't worth the trouble or limitations.

ashokantony 08-14-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absntmind (Post 1197795)
Personally I would go with a canister filter or HOB, especially if you are not going to be adding any plants. You can always take a hole saw to the canopy to run hoses or even a hacksaw. You should also consider using a medium in the filter for biological filtration. Byron wrote an article in the Freshwater Articles section of this site about freshwater bacteria, it would be worth reading.

You mention those filters are supplemental filters, which is true. They are not meant to be the sole means of filtration in a large tank. As for the UGF, IMO they aren't worth the trouble or limitations.

Thanks for your response. To one of your clarifications, there will be plenty of plants. There will be at least 8 to 10 plants in there as well as lot of moss and floating plants.

Could you please get me a link to that article by Byron?

Absntmind 08-14-2012 11:32 AM

Awesome, using plants seems to make keeping things in balance so much easier. As for the article by Byron you can find it HERE

Here is an article about cycling a tank, which relates to Byrons article on bacteria.

ashokantony 08-14-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absntmind (Post 1199096)
Awesome, using plants seems to make keeping things in balance so much easier. As for the article by Byron you can find it HERE

Here is an article about cycling a tank, which relates to Byrons article on bacteria.

I have read these articles (great read though, every time you read it :-)). I am kinda clear about the cycling concepts and do follow them for my earlier tanks too.

I am just a bit concerned if UGF and 2 U4 filters be enough for the tank? Also, would UGF be any cause for concern when it comes to rooted plants in the tank.

Absntmind 08-15-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashokantony (Post 1199425)
I have read these articles (great read though, every time you read it :-)). I am kinda clear about the cycling concepts and do follow them for my earlier tanks too.

I am just a bit concerned if UGF and 2 U4 filters be enough for the tank? Also, would UGF be any cause for concern when it comes to rooted plants in the tank.

You are correct in your concern regarding UGF and roots. You should never run an UGF in a planted tank for that very reason. Otherwise I think that would have been fine as far as an UGF for biological and the supplemental for mechanical. I would consider other options such as HOB or canister filters. I've yet to come across a hood that I couldn't cut a hole in :lol:

ashokantony 08-15-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absntmind (Post 1200848)
You are correct in your concern regarding UGF and roots. You should never run an UGF in a planted tank for that very reason. Otherwise I think that would have been fine as far as an UGF for biological and the supplemental for mechanical. I would consider other options such as HOB or canister filters. I've yet to come across a hood that I couldn't cut a hole in :lol:

It's not that I can't cut a hole. In fact, it is very easy to do so since the hood and the stand are also acrylic. Acrylic Flat-Back Hexagon Aquarium Stand - Fish Tank Aquarium Stands at Aquariums Direct

The above link shows the setup I have. Problem is, if I do cut a hole, it would spoil the beauty of the setup. I jsut can't bring myself to do that. I am going to be satisfied with the fluval U4s for now. :-)

Absntmind 08-15-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashokantony (Post 1201166)
It's not that I can't cut a hole. In fact, it is very easy to do so since the hood and the stand are also acrylic. Acrylic Flat-Back Hexagon Aquarium Stand - Fish Tank Aquarium Stands at Aquariums Direct

The above link shows the setup I have. Problem is, if I do cut a hole, it would spoil the beauty of the setup. I jsut can't bring myself to do that. I am going to be satisfied with the fluval U4s for now. :-)

Ultimately as long as you are happy and can keep the fish healthy is all that matters. That is nice setup by the way... I cant make out the top, but in my opinion drilling 2 holes on either side for an intake and output for a canister filter would look cleaner than having 2 submerged filters as you could store the filter in the cabinet and take up less space in the tank. Whatever the case I would like to see the outcome! Please keep us up to date and have fun! That's what the hobby is all about as what works for one doesn't always work for every one else. Good luck and enjoy the tank!
Posted via Mobile Device