Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Dead Fish! Please Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/dead-fish-please-help-110553/)

N00B 08-12-2012 03:28 AM

Dead Fish! Please Help!

Beginner here... I have a 15 gallon freshwater tank with :
Current tank:
2 small glofish
2 bleeding heart tetras
2 white skirt tetras
2 long finned serpaes
1 sunsest platy
1 lyretail molly
1 small catfish
(Deceased: 1 dalmation molly, 1 balloon molly, 1 platy
Temperature: usually 84-86... but i turned my heater down a bit today as it's been hot
pH: 6.5-7.0

1 tall live bamboo plant
1 anubias variety plant

The beginning of my troubles started when my daylight spectrum bulb went out and my local store kept me waiting 2 weeks for a new one, and I did not think to remove my live plants, thus the ammonia started. For about 3 days the levels were steady around .5 ppms. I got rid of the plants changed the water 2 times a day for 2 days and the ammonia went away. Nitrites and nitrates were fine.Two days later my favorite dalmation molly died, he was sitting at the bottom and showed no other signs of stress, it may have been that he was old. I was very sad and took a drive to a real pet store to get new plants and I succumbed to getting new fish, which probably wasn't a good idea, but my water was stable. So three days later the balloon molly dies but he seemed very happy the whole time he lived and my water remained stable. I found him upside down with his fin caught in the filter tube, and I think it was just because he was stupid. 4 Days later one of my platys died, doing the same thing as my dalmation molly! Hiding at the bottom, but still swimming up for food and showing no other signs of stress. Now my other platy is acting similarly, perhaps lonely? But it is swimming around and eating, not sure of the sex. The lyretail molly which I'm pretty sure is male, is the only one of its kind. He doesn't seem aggressive, but maybe he is stressing the other fish, causing the deaths. The lyre tail molly occasionally darts quickly, rubbing his belly along the bamboo leaves. I know that this could be an indicator of Ick, but I have not seen any other signs on him or any of the other fish. Very confused, please help! Basically my questions are: What is wrong with my tank?!?! Should I get the lonely platy and lyretail molly friends or leave it alone?

Blackfeet 08-13-2012 06:52 PM

Sounds like you have a parasite not necessarily ick. Add salt and treat for parasites

Olympia 08-13-2012 11:03 PM

Do not add anymore fish until everyone is healthy.
Your tank is way too hot also. Try 75F for starters if you can..

Blackfeet 08-14-2012 12:57 AM

Too hot I agree but sice he has an affliction of some type dropping the temp now would have adverse effects in helping the parasite. 75 degrees is the max for glofish but the others 79 is their max temp

Olympia 08-14-2012 12:58 PM

Yes but I think bettering their conditions will help. There will be much more oxygen at the lower temperature than right now.. Of course take it slowly..

Also there's the chance that it won't even get that low, depending on how hot it is where the tank is.

Is your ammonia still high? I feel like they're suffering from ammonia, .5 is bad...
Otherwise.. if it does turn out to be ich you'd have to raise the temperature.
(I just read the whole post, lol).

Byron 08-14-2012 02:08 PM

There is nothing in the original post to suggest parasites to me. I think the issue is different.

Almost all disease and health problems in a fish tank are due to stress. And there is a lot of stress going on in this tank. A 15g is not sufficient space for all these fish. Some of them need a group (the tetra) or they will be stressed and likely to be aggressive. Even if they do not physically attack other fish, they are sending out allomones and the other fish are reading them.

Ammonia at any level above zero will stress fish. And molly are especially sensitive to ammonia, so that likely weakened them.

No mention is made of the hardness (GH) and pH. If these are lower than what the livebearers require, that adds further stress as it affects the fish's physiology. And the higher temperature played into this, as fish have to work much harder the higher the temperature. More stress, and more weakness.

Lower the temperature to around 77F. Do a partial water change of maybe 1/3 the volume. Do another tomorrow. Go from there.

At the same time, take a look at your stocking, as there are problems as noted above. And there is absolutely no room for more fish without removing some of what is there. We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page, and these fish are all there. Data on minimum numbers, tank sizes, compatibility issues, etc. are included.

Byron.