Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Pike Cichlid won't eat (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/pike-cichlid-wont-eat-110550/)

Maura 08-12-2012 06:12 PM

Pike Cichlid won't eat
 
We recently inherited a pike cichlid at the LPS where I work. I've tried what seems like everything and I just can't get him to eat.
I've tried:
  • Beefheart (which is what the old owner fed him)
  • Large feeder goldfish
  • Small feeder goldfish
  • Feeder guppies
  • Tropical flakes
  • Cichlid pellets
  • Superworms
  • Mealworms
  • Waxworms
I need ideas...
Help please?

Tazman 08-12-2012 09:15 PM

There are many different cichlids under the term "Pike"

Do you what species exactly you have?

What are the water parameters and tank size that the fish is in?

Maura 08-12-2012 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1196946)
There are many different cichlids under the term "Pike"

Do you what species exactly you have?

What are the water parameters and tank size that the fish is in?

Honestly, I have no idea. We rarely get fish such as this, and I'm no expert when it comes to cichlids. I've attached a photo, could you ID him please? (Please excuse the water marks on the glass. He lives next to an alligator gar who eats live feeder goldfish and the glass gets dripped on a lot.)

He's in 30 gallons (please keep in mind that this is a pet store and not a permanent home). Water parameters are normal. We use RO water treated with RO Right and Neutral Regulator in all of our tanks.

Tazman 08-12-2012 09:47 PM

I cannot make it out clearly from that photo but it could be a Crenicichla pterogramma / alta.

If you could get a side on photo perhaps?

Nice looking fish though. Agree on the tank being too small for him.

Try with lights out, adding a feeder fish and some pellet food, check in the morning to see if they have been eaten, if not then he/she might be just adjusting to their new home. They can go anything up to 8 days without eating and not having any problems, so keep and eye on it.

Maura 08-12-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1196994)
I cannot make it out clearly from that photo but it could be a Crenicichla pterogramma / alta.

If you could get a side on photo perhaps?

Nice looking fish though. Agree on the tank being too small for him.

Try with lights out, adding a feeder fish and some pellet food, check in the morning to see if they have been eaten, if not then he/she might be just adjusting to their new home. They can go anything up to 8 days without eating and not having any problems, so keep and eye on it.

Thanks. I'll take a new photo tomorrow when I get to work. Hopefully either the flowerhorn or the gar (although hopefully both) will be sold later this week and I can move the pike into the 80 gallon. The lights in the stacks go out at night (6pm-9am).

What size feeder fish do you think would be most appropriate for this fish?

Tazman 08-12-2012 10:06 PM

cichlid fry from South America species (try different sizes)
..or you can try frozen krill pieces as well. Allow them to thaw at room temperature.

They attack live food in the wild, try once the krill have defrosted, using a turkey baster or large syringe to inject the food into the tank. This will give the impression to the fish of the food "swimming" and it may start eating.

I suspect though it isnt eating as it is still getting used to its new surroundings. The fact the tank is a little small as well, may be stressing the fish somewhat. Hope it works out and keep us informed as to how it progresses.

Tazman 08-12-2012 10:07 PM

Not sure if it is possible but also try raising the temperature in the tank slowly to 84F, sometimes higher temperature can get them to eat as it speeds their metabolism up and the fish becomes hungry quicker.

Patience is also the key :-)

Maura 08-12-2012 10:28 PM

I'll look in the freezer tomorrow morning and see if we have frozen krill, as I don't have access to cichlid fry.

Temp in that stack is usually 80-82. I should be able to raise it no problem.

Romad 08-13-2012 07:53 AM

Has anyone tried soaking the food in fresh garlic juice? My LFS used to do that for all of their larger fish both fresh and saltwater.

Tazman 08-13-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1197347)
Has anyone tried soaking the food in fresh garlic juice? My LFS used to do that for all of their larger fish both fresh and saltwater.

Agree that can sometimes work as well.

Garlic has a very uncanny way of getting fish to eat.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2