Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   How to attach moss to driftwood (trying to mke a moss tree) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/how-attach-moss-driftwood-trying-mke-110542/)

jennesque 08-12-2012 05:45 PM

How to attach moss to driftwood (trying to mke a moss tree)

I'm about at my wit's end with this moss. Ive been trying to find a good way to attach it to a couple pieces of driftwood attached to eachother to look like a tree branch. I'll say this, I haven'ttried thread yet and maybe that is the solution, but i worry it will disintegrate and my tree will be ruined... I've tried multiple times to use fishing line but I cannot get the fishing line to coorperate at all and I just get agree and give up. I almost want to just forget about the tree, but i, trying to sortof mimic that tsnk someone made (found pics online) thst looks like a hobbit house. Ive got the hobbit house almost complete, I'm still working on grass... but I think the moss tree would really complete the look.

Also, about the lawn.. I'm working with a very small, 6" high tank.. currently, I'm trying to grow a dwarf hairgrass lawn... I'm getting a few runniners, but more algae than anything. I'm going to move thr tank somewhere with less sunlight but I think I need to try a shorter plant for the lawn to really make it look proportional. I tried microsword and hated it... not sure what else to try. I don't want to use CO2 but I can easily get moderate or high light on the tank because it is so small.

fish monger 08-12-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennesque (Post 1196506)
I'm about at my wit's end with this moss. Ive been trying to find a good way to attach it to a couple pieces of driftwood attached to eachother to look like a tree branch. I'll say this, I haven'ttried thread yet and maybe that is the solution, but i worry it will disintegrate and my tree will be ruined... I've tried multiple times to use fishing line but I cannot get the fishing line to coorperate at all and I just get agree and give up. I almost want to just forget about the tree, but i, trying to sortof mimic that tsnk someone made (found pics online) thst looks like a hobbit house. Ive got the hobbit house almost complete, I'm still working on grass... but I think the moss tree would really complete the look.

Also, about the lawn.. I'm working with a very small, 6" high tank.. currently, I'm trying to grow a dwarf hairgrass lawn... I'm getting a few runniners, but more algae than anything. I'm going to move thr tank somewhere with less sunlight but I think I need to try a shorter plant for the lawn to really make it look proportional. I tried microsword and hated it... not sure what else to try. I don't want to use CO2 but I can easily get moderate or high light on the tank because it is so small.

The moss will have attached itself to the drift wood long before the thread disintegrates. Give thread a try. You really only need to wrap it around the roots a few times and then put the end under the drift wood or a rock.

Absntmind 08-12-2012 08:20 PM

Super Glue Gel, easiest way by far. It will turn white but the moss should overgrow it fairly quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device

BradSD 08-12-2012 09:06 PM

Are you talking about ca glue like you would use on a RC airplane? Someone else mentioned this but I didn't believe it.

GreyHounD 08-12-2012 11:46 PM

Take a black or brown string and just tie it around.

if not just glue the thing.

Absntmind 08-13-2012 12:37 AM

Something like that, yes. Superglue works great but make sure it's the gel.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 08-13-2012 10:50 AM

I agree with fish monger - the moss will attach itself to the wood long before the thread disintegrates.