Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Caribsea Cichlid Sand? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/caribsea-cichlid-sand-110527/)

29Kilo29 08-12-2012 02:27 PM

Caribsea Cichlid Sand?

Hi,

I'm going to be switching my Mbuna tank to sand soon.
I was considering either Caribsea African Cichlid Mix - Ivory Coast or Sahara Sand

Anyone have experience with these? I was wondering about its ability to raise PH and hardness? Also, does the sand get stirred up easily and cloud the water? Opinion of the sand?

Thanks

AndrewM21 08-12-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29Kilo29 (Post 1196339)
Hi,

I'm going to be switching my Mbuna tank to sand soon.
I was considering either Caribsea African Cichlid Mix - Ivory Coast or Sahara Sand

Anyone have experience with these? I was wondering about its ability to raise PH and hardness? Also, does the sand get stirred up easily and cloud the water? Opinion of the sand?

Thanks

I use the Ivory coast cichlid sand in my peacock tank as well as my community tank. My community tank hangs around 7.8 in pH but I haven't a clue what my pH reading is for my peacock tank right now. (I'll get back to you on that one).

Obviously as with any sand you have to thoroughly wash the sand before putting it in the tank. The tank will remain cloudy for a couple of hours after the initial placement of the sand in the tank and then it should clear if you washed it reasonably well. Also, if reasonably washed it shouldn't cloud up severely when you stir up the sand.

The sand looks great in the tank and I haven't had an issue with it yet. The tank will obviously have a really "sandy" smell to it but I honestly like the smell but YMMV.

Hope this helps!

AndrewM21 08-12-2012 03:23 PM

Here is a picture of the sand in my peacock tank.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMAG0039.jpg

29Kilo29 08-12-2012 05:35 PM

Thanks a lot for the picture and info! I like the look of it.

Does the sand get stirred easily? For example, during water vacuums?

AndrewM21 08-12-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29Kilo29 (Post 1196570)
Thanks a lot for the picture and info! I like the look of it.

Does the sand get stirred easily? For example, during water vacuums?

In my opinion, no. But everyone vacuums their tanks differently so if you are rushing through then you're probably going to end up stirring it around a bit. I take my time when doing my weekly PWC and bi-weekly vacuuming though.

29Kilo29 08-12-2012 06:44 PM

And you've never had problems with sand being sucked in by the filter?

AndrewM21 08-12-2012 07:23 PM

Not to date, no. How I recommend applying the sand to the tank is either doing it in small amounts (thoroughly washed) if the tank is already filled with water. If the tank is empty then apply the sand to the tank floor and slowly fill it with water. To avoid as much disturbance on the floor as possible I recommend using a hose and pointing it towards the side wall of the tank and allowing it to run down (This is if no fish are currently present in the tank).

By using this method which is how I did it, there was little sand disturbance on the floor which prevented large amounts from being sucked in by the filter. Of course you will notice it's cloudy after the tank is filled with water but it should clear up within the first 24 hours.

I filled my tank with water and dosed my tank with the tap water conditioner and waited before adding fish to the tank. Be sure your water heater is switched on and make sure the temperature is at the proper range before adding the fish to the tank (I almost made the mistake of not hooking up my heater and adding my fish to a 68 degree tank.)

If you have no fish that are quarantined in a smaller tank during this period then I recommend adding the sand and filling the tank with water, dosing the tank with the tap water conditioner, switching on the heater, then waiting a good 48 hours. Obviously your tank is going to need to cycle unless you are reusing old equipment and decor plus a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of aged water from a previous tank.

My best advice on washing sand is, when you think it's clean, wash it some more!. I used a 5 gallon bucket half filled with sand and washed my sand that way.

I hope this helps!