Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   10 gal stocking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/10-gal-stocking-110493/)

Livewire30 08-12-2012 06:07 AM

10 gal stocking?

Hello, I've been doing a fish-less cycle on my tank for about 2 and a half weeks now, not too sure about how long I should cycle it for though and I've been thinking of what I want to stock it with

My idea:
1 dojo loach
1 clown pleco
and maybe a few male guppies?

I'm not too sure if it's too much or not as this is my first aquarium, anyone have suggestions?

Livewire30 08-12-2012 07:20 AM

Also, this is a picture of my fish tank.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2dkjspl.jpg

jaysee 08-12-2012 11:49 AM

Welcome to the forum

You should continue with the fishless cycle until it is complete - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and maybe 20 nitrates. Then and only then should you put any fish in the tank.

Dojo loaches are highly social fish and need a significantly larger tank, so they are not a good choice for your tank.

You could probably squeeze a clown pleco in a 10, though it's not something I would advise anyone to do. I don't think it's THAT bad, though, as they are small and hide all the time.

A few male guppies are a good choice for a 10 gallon - i would not put males and females together as they will eventually overpopulate the tank.

Livewire30 08-12-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1196096)
Welcome to the forum

You should continue with the fishless cycle until it is complete - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and maybe 20 nitrates. Then and only then should you put any fish in the tank.

Dojo loaches are highly social fish and need a significantly larger tank, so they are not a good choice for your tank.

You could probably squeeze a clown pleco in a 10, though it's not something I would advise anyone to do. I don't think it's THAT bad, though, as they are small and hide all the time.

A few male guppies are a good choice for a 10 gallon - i would not put males and females together as they will eventually overpopulate the tank.

How long exactly should I cycle this tank for? Like I said it's been 2 and a half weeks so far, and I have the Mardel Live master test kit (Mardel Live Meter Master Test Kit) That one to be more specific.
is there anything in specific I should be looking at on that? I can currently see the ammonia is at 0.0 and my ph looks to be 7.0.

Livewire30 08-13-2012 12:32 AM

Any ideas on what kind and how many schooling fish would be cool for a 10 gallon?

MDV39 08-13-2012 12:40 AM

Your Ammonia and Nitrites have to be at zero and you should have some reading of Nitrates about 20ppm. You should test all three and you would have a better idea where you are. Your test kit only tests for Ammonia. I would suggest gettin API Freshwater Master Kit since that will test for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and pH. With the kit you have you will never know for sure when your tank is done cycling. Ammonia at zero can mean you are in the nitrite stage or your tank hasn't started cycling. Also how did you get ammonia into the tank to start the cycle?
Posted via Mobile Device

Livewire30 08-13-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDV39 (Post 1197121)
Your Ammonia and Nitrites have to be at zero and you should have some reading of Nitrates about 20ppm. You should test all three and you would have a better idea where you are. Your test kit only tests for Ammonia. I would suggest gettin API Freshwater Master Kit since that will test for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and pH. With the kit you have you will never know for sure when your tank is done cycling. Ammonia at zero can mean you are in the nitrite stage or your tank hasn't started cycling. Also how did you get ammonia into the tank to start the cycle?
Posted via Mobile Device

One of my friends that have kept fish for a few years helped me start a fishless cycle with Pure ammonia.

jaysee 08-13-2012 12:57 AM

It will take as long as it takes to complete the cycle. Could be another 2 weeks.