Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   115 gallon ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/115-gallon-ideas-110458/)

ap4910 08-11-2012 08:34 PM

115 gallon ideas

First od all I like to say Hello.

I have been keeping fish for about a year now and am addicted. I have always wanted to but the X wouldnt have anything to do with it. Anyway here I am. I have a 29gallon and 75 gallon tank. was fine with that till a friend from work offered me the works on a 115 gallon for a seal. I cant pass it and will pick it up soon.

Anyway I will keep a oscar and jd and some other cichlids in the 75 to get my Big fish thing out of my system.

On the 115 Im not sure what I want. I never did live plant and think I would like that. Anything other then lighting that i need to look at for plants? I like the look of sand in the tanks. Is that ok for live plants?

Maby more of the aqua scape way. How many fish could I keep in a tank this size? I dont see me keeping many fish over 6" most would be 2-4".

would like some rams and angels i think. Any ideas would be great

osti 08-11-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap4910 (Post 1195314)
First od all I like to say Hello.

I have been keeping fish for about a year now and am addicted. I have always wanted to but the X wouldnt have anything to do with it. Anyway here I am. I have a 29gallon and 75 gallon tank. was fine with that till a friend from work offered me the works on a 115 gallon for a seal. I cant pass it and will pick it up soon.

Anyway I will keep a oscar and jd and some other cichlids in the 75 to get my Big fish thing out of my system.

On the 115 Im not sure what I want. I never did live plant and think I would like that. Anything other then lighting that i need to look at for plants? I like the look of sand in the tanks. Is that ok for live plants?

Maby more of the aqua scape way. How many fish could I keep in a tank this size? I dont see me keeping many fish over 6" most would be 2-4".

would like some rams and angels i think. Any ideas would be great

Hi and welcome.
I have a 40 gallon breeder planted community tank that I just changed from gravel to sand today and it looks awesome. I used play sand that I bought at Lowes. For lighting I have a dual bulb fixture with 6700 k rating and my plants are doing real good with that light. I also have a 150 gallon tall tank with discus that also has all live plants. I'm going to be changing that over to sand next weekend.

thekoimaiden 08-11-2012 10:07 PM

Welcome to the forum! You're lucky for getting a tank like that for free. Does it come with filtration?

To answer your question about plants, they do just fine in sand. My most heavily-planted tank is a sand bottom. A lot of other members here keep sand-bottom planted tanks.

Well I couldn't really tell you exactly how many fish you could have in that tank, but it's certainly large enough for a school of angelfish. You could even do discus in there if you wanted. Since you like both angels and rams, you could look into an amazon biotope tank. A few members here have them and I'd like to get one in the coming years.

ap4910 08-11-2012 10:55 PM

thanks for the responses. I really like discues but hear the water is really hard to keep up and they run from 75-125 at the LFS! I was thinking about the biotope amazon. I also would put my dwarf cerveceps in the tank. was a impulse buy but i like them and from what i have read they do well in planted community tanks.

thekoimaiden 08-11-2012 11:16 PM

From what I've read of discus, it's the juveniles that are difficult. If you get adults and subadults they are much easier to care for. You just treat it light a heavily stocked tank and do about 50% weekly water changes. But I can see how the price tag would turn most people away from them.

Haha well even a biotope can have an oddball thrown in there. Nobody's perfect after all! :lol:

Olympia 08-11-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap4910 (Post 1195620)
dwarf cerveceps

Typo? What is this?

I'd go with angels, you could have a large group in there with some other fish for sure. Angels are nice, lot's of colour choice nowadays, they'd look good with some bigger tetra like bleeding heart tetra. And some silver hatchetfish for the top. And some cories for the bottom. Or a different catfish if you want something you'll probably never see. xD Twig catfish and whiptail catfish are popular as well, related to pleco but very different.

ap4910 08-13-2012 05:47 PM

OK Ive been reasearching a thinking. I think I will do 2 angels, 6 discus and some cats and a few shoals of different tetras