Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   outbreak (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/outbreak-11042/)

jcomer 01-19-2008 05:32 PM

outbreak

What would be the cause of an alge outbreak over nite?All decorations and rocks turned green over nite.

Cody 01-19-2008 05:36 PM

Re: outbreak

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcomer
What would be the cause of an alge outbreak over nite?All decorations and rocks turned green over nite.

Do you keep the light on at night?

Size of tank and temperature?

JouteiMike 01-19-2008 05:46 PM

In addition,

What is your cleaning schedule, water changes, how much and how often?
What is your feeding schedule, how much and how often?
How long you keep your lights on regularly?
Have you tested your tap water for phosphates? High levels phosphates could increase algal growth.
What fish do you keep?
What kind of filter do you run?

A lot of questions I know, but it will help us understand your situation much better.

jcomer 01-19-2008 08:04 PM

The light comes on about 5AM till about 9PM.

Cody 01-19-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Way too long. The light should be on for 14 hours MAX, and that is bad. The idea is 10-12 hours.

Could you answer the questions listed above?

Falina 01-19-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

That's an awful lot of light and culd contribute to an algae bloom. Would you be able to answer some of the other questions as well for us to better understad the situation?

JouteiMike 01-19-2008 08:53 PM

I'd say that is a rather long duration to have your lights on as well. 8-10 hours should be the max. Do you have plants? I read an article that said it has been studied that fish produce the ideal level of vitamin D in only 6 hours of light. Anything above 10 hours is a waste of energy in my opinion, and could furthermore contribute to algal problems.

The next big question is the amount of nutrients dissolved in your water. And that could be answered with how much you feed and how often, and your phosphate level.

Oh and it wouldn't hurt to answer the other questions.

TrashmanNYC 01-19-2008 09:57 PM

I leave mine on 5-6 hours tops.........unless you have certain plants you dont need much more than that..........if you want to be able to observe without the main lights, look into some LED moonlights.......
i got these for my tank..........
http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Double-Aquar...QQcmdZViewItem
they have other sizes also........

Robb

herefishy 01-19-2008 11:58 PM

Although lighting may have something to do with your problem, I feel that is caused by excess nutrients in the water. An over abundance of phosphates and other nutrients, usually caused by over feeding, are the culprits, in my opinion. I have a couple of tanks that the lights remain on for over 14-16 hours a day and I have no algae problems what-so-ever.

There are a couple of ways to combat the problem. One is to cut back on feeding and increase the frequency of water changes, 25% once a week(more if necessary). The other, is to get plants that will out compete the algae for nutrients. I would use elodea. It is inexpensive and will soon put the algae in its place. It is a floating plant, normally, and would add a little security for your fish. Thirdly, and least suggested, would be to use an algaecide. I would only use this method as a last resort.

JouteiMike 01-20-2008 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
I have a couple of tanks that the lights remain on for over 14-16 hours a day and I have no algae problems what-so-ever.

I have a feeling that if you saw excess algae appearing in your tank, you'd immediately reduce the amount of light and reduce feedings if necessary. I wasn't saying that is was the definite problem; however, the amount of light in jcomer's tank, which is 16 hours, could very well be a good portion of the problem.

Still a little more information is needed about how much is being fed to the fish and how often, and I still believe phosphate levels could be playing a role in this.