Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Guppies with platies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/guppies-platies-110377/)

Loofah 08-10-2012 10:37 PM

Guppies with platies?

Hello,

I have a 14 gallon tank, with four orange platies, along with a male fancy guppy, and 2 female guppies. I've heard somewhere that these fish don't get along, and they shouldn't be stocked together. They seem just fine, and I've observed no fighting/fin nipping whatsoever. First, is this a overstocked tank, and second, will these fish continue to get along?

Thanks.

jaysee 08-11-2012 12:05 AM

Welcome to the forum

Yes, it is overstocked. The thing about live bearers is that they breed. and breed. and breed. So while the tank is not terribly overstocked at the moment, there is zero room for growth.

I would just keep the guppies in the tank if you wanted them to breed. If you don't want them to breed, then you can take the necessary steps to prevent that from happening, at which point you could have a tank stocked for long term sustainability.

As for the fish getting along - I think that circumstances play a large roll in that. It is possible for the dynamics of the tank to change as the fish grow and mature, so just because things are good now, that does not guarantee that things will remain that way indefinitely. I don't think that the guppy/platy combo is inherently problematic, so that's something I would expect to work fine....in a large enough tank. I really don't know if 14 gallons is large enough - it's a very small tank.

Loofah 08-11-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1194062)
Welcome to the forum

Yes, it is overstocked. The thing about live bearers is that they breed. and breed. and breed. So while the tank is not terribly overstocked at the moment, there is zero room for growth.

I would just keep the guppies in the tank if you wanted them to breed. If you don't want them to breed, then you can take the necessary steps to prevent that from happening, at which point you could have a tank stocked for long term sustainability.

As for the fish getting along - I think that circumstances play a large roll in that. It is possible for the dynamics of the tank to change as the fish grow and mature, so just because things are good now, that does not guarantee that things will remain that way indefinitely. I don't think that the guppy/platy combo is inherently problematic, so that's something I would expect to work fine....in a large enough tank. I really don't know if 14 gallons is large enough - it's a very small tank.

Ok... I was planning on raising the fry in a Seprate tank, and use them as fish food. >:), I wasn't keeping them, and if I ever feel inclined to do so, I have a extra tank Thats cycling now for that very purpose.
Posted via Mobile Device