Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How many fish in a 20 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-many-fish-20-gallon-110111/)

Spongeycrab 08-08-2012 02:46 PM

How many fish in a 20 gallon?

What I have/want:

5 Zebra Danios

1 Unknown Platie

1 Neon Swordtail

1 Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

5 Neon tetras

5 Glowlight tetras

1 Dalmation Mollie

One more 1-3 inch fish

really need some help!:frustrated:

eaturbyfill 08-08-2012 02:53 PM

I would recommend 6-8 Neon Tetras, 6-8 Glowlight Tetras, and one or two other fish. I'd be afraid the Danios might stress out the Tetras, as I've heard they are very, very active. Mollies do better in a little bit bigger tank.

Basically, schooling fish like groups of 6+. I'd only put 2 schools in a 20g, and one or two "centerpiece fish" (like the Gourami).

Spongeycrab 08-08-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaturbyfill (Post 1190413)
I would recommend 6-8 Neon Tetras, 6-8 Glowlight Tetras, and one or two other fish. I'd be afraid the Danios might stress out the Tetras, as I've heard they are very, very active. Mollies do better in a little bit bigger tank.

Basically, schooling fish like groups of 6+. I'd only put 2 schools in a 20g, and one or two "centerpiece fish" (like the Gourami).

Aww shoot! I'm sorry my tank is a 29 gallon not 20 gallon

oh and I already have the sword platie and danios.

thekoimaiden 08-08-2012 03:19 PM

The schooling/shoaling fish which are the zebra danio, neon tetra, and glowlight tetra need to be in groups of 6 or more (click on the shaded name to learn more). They will have better color and be more active.

Personally, with three schools of mid-swimming fish this tank sounds like it will be a bit cramped. I have this exact same tank, and I went with one large school of mid-swimming fish (11 cardinal tetra), one school of substrate fish (10 kuhli loach), and one centerpiece fish (thicklips gourami). You could do two schools of about 6 fish each, but three is too many.

Since you already have the danio, get one or two more to bring the school up to an acceptable size and decide whether you want the neons or the glowlights (personally I would go with glowlights as they are a much hardier fish; neons have a history of disease). I wouldn't add the gourami because they don't do well with active fish like danio. They are also likely to bring in a deadly disease known as the dwarf gourami iridovirus; there is no cure for it.

Spongeycrab 08-08-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1190451)
The schooling/shoaling fish which are the zebra danio, neon tetra, and glowlight tetra need to be in groups of 6 or more (click on the shaded name to learn more). They will have better color and be more active.

Personally, with three schools of mid-swimming fish this tank sounds like it will be a bit cramped. I have this exact same tank, and I went with one large school of mid-swimming fish (11 cardinal tetra), one school of substrate fish (10 kuhli loach), and one centerpiece fish (thicklips gourami). You could do two schools of about 6 fish each, but three is too many.

Since you already have the danio, get one or two more to bring the school up to an acceptable size and decide whether you want the neons or the glowlights (personally I would go with glowlights as they are a much hardier fish; neons have a history of disease). I wouldn't add the gourami because they don't do well with active fish like danio. They are also likely to bring in a deadly disease known as the dwarf gourami iridovirus; there is no cure for it.

thank you what about the dalmation and 2-3 inch fish?

thekoimaiden 08-08-2012 03:31 PM

You could add the dalmation molly but another fish will be crowding it a bit much. Why not look into some substrate fish like cory cats or kuhli loach?

Spongeycrab 08-08-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1190468)
You could add the dalmation molly but another fish will be crowding it a bit much. Why not look into some substrate fish like cory cats or kuhli loach?

thanks!

Spongeycrab 08-08-2012 03:45 PM

can I get 3 glowlight tetras and 3 neon tetras, or do I need more together in a tank?

thekoimaiden 08-08-2012 03:46 PM

You need at least 6 of each tetra species in a tank. So if you want one neon you have to get 6. It's this way with all of the small species.