Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   29g tankmates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/29g-tankmates-11005/)

LincolnS 01-18-2008 03:39 PM

29g tankmates

Hello everyone, atm i have 2 angelfish, 3 otos, a pleco, a baby snail i got accidently and a corydora. Does this seem fine or do you think i can get some more? If so any suggestions and the amount :)

Thanks much in advance. :)

Cody 01-18-2008 04:18 PM

Re: 29g tankmates

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnS
Hello everyone, atm i have 2 angelfish, 3 otos, a pleco, a baby snail i got accidently and a corydora. Does this seem fine or do you think i can get some more? If so any suggestions and the amount :)

Thanks much in advance. :)

That would probably be enough. The angles need a good amount of room, so I wouldn't add any more fish.

What kind of pleco do you have?

The cory must be kind of lonely. They like groups of at least 3, but I do not know if you can sdd anymore.

It'sJames 01-18-2008 05:55 PM

The pleco will eventually grow too large for the tank, unless it's a bristlenose plec. Are you planning on trading him out? I added a pleco to my 28g tank last night, but I know i'll have to trade him for a smaller one in a couple months. Another concern about the pleco is that they have a tendancy to grate against other fish at night (plecos are nocturnal), and could potentially cause some damage to those angels or even the cory. The cory should be kept in a group of 3 +, like Cody said. If it were me, I'd trade that pleco out for a couple more corys, but I'd totally understand if you just like the pleco too much to part with him. My pleco is just for algae control, and I wish I could do without him. lol

TrashmanNYC 01-18-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sJames
My pleco is just for algae control, and I wish I could do without him. lol

what about a bushynose pleco? they stay smaller and they kick algae arse........

It'sJames 01-18-2008 09:53 PM

I'm not sure if my lfs carries bushynose plecos, but I'll have to take a look. Hopefully I won't need the pleco in a couple months, once the tank is fully planted and filled out. Right now I have too much like and not enough plants, so the algae is thriving.... unfortunatly.

It'sJames 01-18-2008 10:26 PM

*"too much light and not enough plants" is what I meant to say... not too much "like". lol

Holly 01-18-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It'sJames
pleco is just for algae control, and I wish I could do without him. lol

Mine was too in the begining but now he's our fav fish!

herefishy 01-19-2008 01:33 AM

There are many "dwarf" plecostomus', not just bushynose. Butterfly plecos stay rather small. If you are looking for algae eaters try flying foxes.

LincolnS 01-19-2008 09:18 AM

ive had 4 friends for the cory...they always die for him...so i just kinda gave up on getting another or 2. Also ill keep the plec and get him a bigger tank when the time comes. Thanks for help