Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Would like feedback on how my 10 gallon tank is stocked. Advice, potential issues,etc (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/would-like-feedback-how-my-10-a-110033/)

thechucks 08-07-2012 08:27 PM

Would like feedback on how my 10 gallon tank is stocked. Advice, potential issues,etc

Hello,

I have a 10 gallon tank with a Aqueon QuietFlow 10 Power Filter.

Substrate: aquarium sand and medium sized gravel in some patches

"Decorations": Driftwood, rocks, and all live plants (not sure how many but lots and 5 different species)

Stock: 5 Glowlight tetras, 1 male betta, 1 ghost shrimp, 3 spotted cories, and 2 african dwarf frogs

I have supplies to test Ammonia, Nitrate, pH, Nitrite
products to condition water, detoxify ammonia, treat bacterial and fungal infections, fertilize plants, etc.
algae scrubber, siphon vacuum, thermometer, heater, and the foods to suit each species

I originally had 1 betta, 5 tetras, 1 ghost shrimp
However, a friend was moving and wanted to give up plants and fish (but kept the tank) and I was the only one around with a tank set up and our only pet store does not take in outside fish, so I accepted.

I just wanted some feedback from anyone who was able to successfully keep an overstocked tank or stories about possible issues for those who weren't able to successfully keep a 10 gallon like this.

Thank you very much!

jayla2251 08-07-2012 09:38 PM

Doesn't seem that overstocked to me. Shrimp have very low bio-load. (Which is more important than the 1" per gallon rule). Never kept glowlights but with how small they are, I also doubt they have a large bio-load either. Just keep testing your water and doing water changes.

eaturbyfill 08-08-2012 04:06 AM

It's close to being overstocked, but I think it will be fine with the plants to help keep chemicals from waste down.

Byron 08-08-2012 01:27 PM

You are at the limit for fish now. As for potential problems, the Betta looms out. This is not a community fish for two reasons. Sometimes they seem passive, but they are naturally bred to fight and kill, and as they mature they sometimes get a dislike for other fish. Might also eat the shrimp. And from the other side of the coin, the glowlights have teeth, lots of them, and are prone to using them so they may decide to nip the Betta's fins, quite a temptation. Keep an eye out, but if it were me i would re-home the Betta and have less risk of trouble.

Byron.

jaysee 08-08-2012 04:19 PM

I agree, the betta doesn't belong. The glowlights I had were quite nippy, even with 9 of them in a 45.

thechucks 08-08-2012 07:23 PM

I'll keep an eye out- no issues yet so I don't think I'll make the choice to rehome betta at this time

thechucks 08-08-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1190320)
You are at the limit for fish now. As for potential problems, the Betta looms out. This is not a community fish for two reasons. Sometimes they seem passive, but they are naturally bred to fight and kill, and as they mature they sometimes get a dislike for other fish. Might also eat the shrimp. And from the other side of the coin, the glowlights have teeth, lots of them, and are prone to using them so they may decide to nip the Betta's fins, quite a temptation. Keep an eye out, but if it were me i would re-home the Betta and have less risk of trouble.

Byron.

I haven't noticed any issues between the 2 for the past 2 months, except once in a while the betta will chase the glowlight for a couple of seconds (no nipping). I also haven't seen any issues with either species fins in generally. But thank you, I will keep this on my radar