Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Are My Angels Gasping? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-angels-gasping-110021/)

SomeDudeAtHome 08-07-2012 07:32 PM

Are My Angels Gasping?

So my angels have been doing this thing where they go to the top of the water and stick they're mouths out and bite the air. They mainly do it during a water change. I'm not sure if it stresses them out or what but figured I should ask. They've always done it so I figured it was normal.

I do a 30% water change on my 40g tank. I fill it back up with a hose and the water is stifled by my hand so it's not crazy hard. I pour a little more than the recommended amount of Prime in the tank before refilling. They do the gasping while the water is being put back in not taken out. Do they just like the freshwater or is something else wrong? I have an Ehiem filter on the tank with the recommended water flow and a lot of live plants so the oxygen level should be ok. The ammonia and nitrate/nitrite are all 0 as well. This is an established aquarium.

The only other time they do it is after feeding but I figure they're just still looking for food. Which reminds me they seem to be constantly hungry. And not just the normal fish hungry. They eat all my floating plants like duckweed, salvania, and water sprite.

92smokeaccord 08-07-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeDudeAtHome (Post 1189340)
So my angels have been doing this thing where they go to the top of the water and stick they're mouths out and bite the air. They mainly do it during a water change. I'm not sure if it stresses them out or what but figured I should ask. They've always done it so I figured it was normal.

I do a 30% water change on my 40g tank. I fill it back up with a hose and the water is stifled by my hand so it's not crazy hard. I pour a little more than the recommended amount of Prime in the tank before refilling. They do the gasping while the water is being put back in not taken out. Do they just like the freshwater or is something else wrong? I have an Ehiem filter on the tank with the recommended water flow and a lot of live plants so the oxygen level should be ok. The ammonia and nitrate/nitrite are all 0 as well. This is an established aquarium.

The only other time they do it is after feeding but I figure they're just still looking for food. Which reminds me they seem to be constantly hungry. And not just the normal fish hungry. They eat all my floating plants like duckweed, salvania, and water sprite.

there fine mine do the same thing.they are of the cichlid family so they love fresh clean water and to eat.

SomeDudeAtHome 08-10-2012 06:50 PM

Thank you. I didn't really think anything was wrong because they never acted like they were struggling but figured I should ask.

LyzzaRyzz 08-10-2012 10:50 PM

Are you using a dechlorinator?

jaysee 08-10-2012 11:19 PM

Water changes stir things up in the tank, so they could be eating small particles that have been brought to the surface.