Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Stocking A 92 Gallon Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/stocking-92-gallon-tank-110018/)

Squasedpotato 08-07-2012 06:56 PM

Stocking A 92 Gallon Tank

Hey guys! :-P

I've recently been offered to take responsibility of a 92 (US) Gallon fish tank at a school and since i have one myself (albeit alot smaller) i thought why not!

The owner wants nice and colourful fish in there for the kids so i've landed on the Cichlids (he wasn't interested in any smaller fishes).

The tank itself is a Juwel Trigon 350, it's a corner tank, the idea is to do 25% weekly water changes (if this is not enough please let me know).

The filter is a Juwel Bioflow 8.0 Jumbo.

I need to know first of all how many fish i can keep in the tank and secondly what type would be best, obviously the more variety the better but i don't want that to come at the cost of more aggression for example.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Tazman 08-07-2012 07:07 PM

What are the exact dimensions of the tank?

Squasedpotato 08-07-2012 07:28 PM

Got these pics from their website:

http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/imag...0_top_line.jpg
http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/imag...0_top_line.jpg

Tazman 08-07-2012 08:01 PM

Easy ones to take care of would be :
Yellow labs (Labidchromis careleus)
Red Zebra (metriclima estererae)
Psedutropheus sp "Acei"
Rusties
Cynotilapia Afra

This would give you a whole mix of color and none of those fish are overly aggressive. Red Zebra will more than likely crossbreed with the yellow labs but you have a fair amount of space in the tank.

Cichlids you can overstock tanks no problem and it actually helps the fish, a smaller group can lead to some fish being picked on but a large group less likely to happen.

I would consider getting either a Rena XP4 or Fluval FX5 as filtration, the filter that comes with it is not going to be powerful enough for the cichlids who are messy. Add a Penguin 400 for surface agitation and you will be good to go.

Groups of 1 male to 4 female of all those fish would work in that tank. Plenty of rock structure towards the back to create caves and chillout areas and the front leave for open swimming.

Squasedpotato 08-07-2012 09:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions:-)

I'll certainly ask the owner about upgrading the filter however i don't think they'll want to put down the extra cost right now in all honesty, i'll certainly explain the benefits to them though!

So that i can let them know, roughly how many fish would i be able to stock with the default filter and how many with an upgraded one? Thanks!

Tazman 08-07-2012 09:21 PM

I know nothing about that filter at all, so if you could provide a link? The few images I can find has a bad configuration of mainly foam pads..these are not the greatest for keeping cichlids. A filter which you can load with media such as those mentioned is far more effective.

With an FX5 in a 90g I would say 25 fish is not a problem provided as I mentioned in the previous post, you use the back of the tank for the rock structure and use the larger front as a swimming area.

Squasedpotato 08-07-2012 10:33 PM

Yes that is the idea:-)

As for the filter i'll try and get some details directly from Juwel, it is strange how there's no specs or info anywhere for this filter:-? I'll get back once Juwel (hopefully) give me a reply.

Squasedpotato 08-08-2012 01:17 PM

Well there's been a change of plans...the owners now willing to have some schools of fish in there but wants a centre-piece fish aswell.

He wants four discus fish in the tank as the centre piece, thing is i've heard discus fish can eat smaller ones if they fit in their mouths like Neon Tetra's...does anyone have any experience with this? Not to mention PH/Temp might be a problem aswell since Discus fish require lower ph etc.

We need large schools of fish in here first of all however, the centrepiece fish can come afterwards, i'm thinking of two/three different types of schooling fish so i'm wondering what schooling fish would be recommended (since it's for kids the more colourful the better!) and how many of each i can fit in a 92 Gallon Tank (Leaving some space for 3/4 Discus-sized centrepiece fish :) Thanks.

EDIT:

I also got an email back from Juwel in regards to the filter...

Quote:

Dear John

Thank you for your e-mail. The Trigon 350 has a pump 1000 in the filter system therefore it circulates approx. 1000litres per hour
Is that enough info or should i ask for more?

1077 08-08-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squasedpotato (Post 1190313)
Well there's been a change of plans...the owners now willing to have some schools of fish in there but wants a centre-piece fish aswell.

He wants four discus fish in the tank as the centre piece, thing is i've heard discus fish can eat smaller ones if they fit in their mouths like Neon Tetra's...does anyone have any experience with this? Not to mention PH/Temp might be a problem aswell since Discus fish require lower ph etc.

We need large schools of fish in here first of all however, the centrepiece fish can come afterwards, i'm thinking of two/three different types of schooling fish so i'm wondering what schooling fish would be recommended (since it's for kids the more colourful the better!) and how many of each i can fit in a 92 Gallon Tank (Leaving some space for 3/4 Discus-sized centrepiece fish :) Thanks.

EDIT:

I also got an email back from Juwel in regards to the filter...

Is that enough info or should i ask for more?

Water parameter's would be helpful for deciding on what fish may work.
GH,pH, of source water being used for water changes will determine best fishes for that water.IMHO
Discus prefer warmer water than a lot of other fishes are comfortable in over the long term so care is needed in selecting tankmates.

Squasedpotato 08-08-2012 04:01 PM

The PH is 8.2 (i've already let the owner know this is too high for Discus fish, but he wants it lowered so i'll be looking into that also).

I'll try and find out the GH aswell and will post back.