Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   New live plants for 30 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-live-plants-30-gallon-110017/)

Arbiter120 08-07-2012 06:41 PM

New live plants for 30 gallon

Does anyone have advice for how many live plants and what type of live plants i should get for my 30 gallon? I already have 12 fake plants in my tank.

LADY K 08-07-2012 07:15 PM

welcome to the forum .i'm new i started with java fern, anubias nana,water wisteria & amazon sword. still in begining stages.looking to get more, not much around here. there will be more knowledgeable people with better answers. this is the best forum :-D

Arbiter120 08-07-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LADY K (Post 1189306)
welcome to the forum .i'm new i started with java fern, anubias nana,water wisteria & amazon sword. still in begining stages.looking to get more, not much around here. there will be more knowledgeable people with better answers. this is the best forum :-D

Thanks I will try to get those plants when I have some time.:-)

Byron 08-08-2012 11:08 AM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:wave:

There are many aquarium plants, some may be more suitable than others for your particular aquarium. Light is the most important factor--some are low light, some moderate, and some require brighter light. And then nutrients have to balance the light.

We have many plants (and fish) in our profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If you could detail your light (type, watts, Kelvin) we would be better able to suggest appropriate plants.

Some fish stores unfortunately sell terrestrial plants as aquarium plants, so one has to know what they are getting.

Byron.

Arbiter120 08-08-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1190186)
Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:wave:

There are many aquarium plants, some may be more suitable than others for your particular aquarium. Light is the most important factor--some are low light, some moderate, and some require brighter light. And then nutrients have to balance the light.

We have many plants (and fish) in our profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If you could detail your light (type, watts, Kelvin) we would be better able to suggest appropriate plants.

Some fish stores unfortunately sell terrestrial plants as aquarium plants, so one has to know what they are getting.

Byron.

Thanks Bryon.:yourock:I keep my aquarium light on for 12-14 hours a day.

Byron 08-09-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbiter120 (Post 1190874)
Thanks Bryon.:yourock:I keep my aquarium light on for 12-14 hours a day.

Duration cannot make up for intensity, both have to be balanced with nutrients. If you could detail your light we should be able to suggest some suitable plant species. Type of light, watts, kelvin, and tank length.

Byron.