Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hardest Thing I've Ever Done (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hardest-thing-ive-ever-done-109940/)

cameronpalte 08-07-2012 12:54 AM

Hardest Thing I've Ever Done

Well,
Tomorrow I'm leaving on a 10 day vacation to Europe. And while I'm gone I have to figure out how to get all my fish fed. In my 55g, I put 3 (7 day fish feeders) and a good amount of pellets.

In my goldfish tank I put a 14 day vacation feeder.

However the problem comes with my fry tank. My guppy just gave birth earlier today to around 10 healthy fry in my 2.5g. I have put in some lettuce, some hikari fry food, crushed flakes, and a 1/3 of a 7 day vacation feeder. However being fry, I'm worried that when I come back they'll all be dead:(.

Do you guys have any more advice?

jaysee 08-07-2012 05:40 AM

I would not use the vacation feeders - the fish will be just fine without being fed for 10 days. As for the fry - there will always be more.

Byron 08-07-2012 11:26 AM

Agree.

thekoimaiden 08-07-2012 01:07 PM

I highly recommend removing the vacation feeders. Your goldfish will eat themselves to death or overeat to the point where they have trouble with their swim bladder. It will also spike the ammonia in your tanks. You have a decent probability of returning to dead fish with that in your tank. Your fish will be fine without food for 10 days. I just came back from a 10 day Europe vacation and left my fish without food for the entire time. I was more worried about the climbing nitrates and a lack of water changes than I was about them eating. I would be more worried about water changes in your case, too. A 2.5 gal tank can't go a few days without the ammonia climbing high. This, not the lack of food, will be killing your fish.

cameronpalte 08-11-2012 03:33 AM

Darn now I worry their will be dead fishes when I come back. The fry I assume will die, the 55 I think can handle itself but I'm worried about the 10g goldfish

cameronpalte 08-17-2012 08:55 PM

Great news. Came back home and all the finish including the goldfish were still alive (but I could tell the goldfish were a little unhappy). The fry were alive too but VERY hungry.

I have yet to see my pleco but I put in lots of decor so I wouldn't be surprised if he's just on a non visible portion of driftwood

GwenInNM 08-17-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronpalte (Post 1203747)
Great news. Came back home and all the finish including the goldfish were still alive (but I could tell the goldfish were a little unhappy). The fry were alive too but VERY hungry.

I have yet to see my pleco but I put in lots of decor so I wouldn't be surprised if he's just on a non visible portion of driftwood

I hope your trip to Europe was fun! I remember back when I lived in Los Angeles, and there was an earthquake in 1994, many people in Santa Monica were not allowed back in their apartments because of structural damage. A story ran on the news, six months after the earthquake that a guy returned to his apt. and some of his fish were still alive! They did likely live off the ones that died, but pretty incredible. I have no idea what kind of fish they were, but still!

Gwen

cameronpalte 08-17-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1203783)
I hope your trip to Europe was fun! I remember back when I lived in Los Angeles, and there was an earthquake in 1994, many people in Santa Monica were not allowed back in their apartments because of structural damage. A story ran on the news, six months after the earthquake that a guy returned to his apt. and some of his fish were still alive! They did likely live off the ones that died, but pretty incredible. I have no idea what kind of fish they were, but still!

Gwen

It was great! It's really interesting to see how that guys fish managed to survive for 6 years, I didn't live here back then:). Thanks for the reply.

GwenInNM 08-17-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronpalte (Post 1203846)
It was great! It's really interesting to see how that guys fish managed to survive for 6 years, I didn't live here back then:). Thanks for the reply.

It was 6 months, not 6 years! Do you live in So Cal?

Gwen

cameronpalte 08-17-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1203867)
It was 6 months, not 6 years! Do you live in So Cal?

Gwen

Oops that's what I meant to write 6 months. Umm I live in North Cal (San Franscisco/San Jose area)