Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Needle Leaf Ludwigia (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/needle-leaf-ludwigia-109764/)

marshallsea 08-05-2012 01:22 PM

Needle Leaf Ludwigia

fh

marshallsea 08-05-2012 01:28 PM

Needle Leaf Ludwigia

Can Needle Leaf Ludwigia survive on API Leaf Zone Plant Food?

Byron 08-05-2012 03:27 PM

API Leaf Zone only contains two nutrients, iron and potassium, according to their site. On its own, this would be inadequate for any plants unless the other needed nutrients were avalable in the tank--which they might well be depending upon the minerals in the tap water and fish load/feeding.

BTW, I moved your post out of the unrelated thread it was posted in.

Byron.

marshallsea 08-05-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1185986)
API Leaf Zone only contains two nutrients, iron and potassium, according to their site. On its own, this would be inadequate for any plants unless the other needed nutrients were avalable in the tank--which they might well be depending upon the minerals in the tap water and fish load/feeding.

BTW, I moved your post out of the unrelated thread it was posted in.

Byron.

I dont know about minerals, I have a 20g with 3 adult , 4 fry platys. I dont overfeed and have about 10 leaves of anubias. I just added 1 batch of above mentioned plant. The anubias appear to be doing good on this , but its only been a week since I started using API. I cant find the Flourish everyone talks about. If I need additional plant food , what would be the first sign to confirm this and what should I feed in addition to API?

LADY K 08-06-2012 06:19 AM

i also could only get leaf zone only used 3 times,can't tell difference yet.last trip to store i found aqueon aquarium plant food.is this any good? and can i use these together?

marshallsea 08-06-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LADY K (Post 1186804)
i also could only get leaf zone only used 3 times,can't tell difference yet.last trip to store i found aqueon aquarium plant food.is this any good? and can i use these together?

I used Aqueon for one bottles worth on my

anubias and had constant yellowing of the leaves. I think there was a nutrient lacking in the Aqueon. But since using Leaf Zone plants look better and are growing new leaves. After reading what Byron said, I believe Leaf Zone may supply what Aqueon lacks, and vice versa. Im off to get a bottle of Aqueon and I will mix the two, unless someone on this forum has a reason not to. Would be nice if Petco or Petsmart carried Seachems Flourish.

Byron 08-06-2012 10:57 AM

It is not easy deciphering plant issues, since many nutrient deficiencies (or excesses, another problem) can cause the same or similar symptoms. Which is why I recommend using a complete nutrient supplement rather than haphazard guessing. I appreciate some products may not be available everywhere, but you can order any of these online (and for significantly less than it will cost in most stores too). Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti are both balanced.

The Aqueon according to the info on the website has a more balanced nutrient base, though no potassium interestingly. So using the two together may solve your problem. Be careful not to overdose, as both have iron and this is a toxic heavy metal if in excess, plus it can affect the plant's assimilation of other nutrients. Here's the site:
Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart

marshallsea 08-06-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1187005)
It is not easy deciphering plant issues, since many nutrient deficiencies (or excesses, another problem) can cause the same or similar symptoms. Which is why I recommend using a complete nutrient supplement rather than haphazard guessing. I appreciate some products may not be available everywhere, but you can order any of these online (and for significantly less than it will cost in most stores too). Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti are both balanced.

The Aqueon according to the info on the website has a more balanced nutrient base, though no potassium interestingly. So using the two together may solve your problem. Be careful not to overdose, as both have iron and this is a toxic heavy metal if in excess, plus it can affect the plant's assimilation of other nutrients. Here's the site:
Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart

Thanks Byron.

marshallsea 08-06-2012 02:10 PM

OK, So I went to lfs and found Flourish. I had been looking for a red bottle , Flourish is green.

LADY K 08-06-2012 02:10 PM

Bryon i'm going to alternate the weeks i use them. so not to have to much iron. do you think it will work?