Tropical Fish Keeping banner

confused,tank cycle,help!

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  prodrumernate 
#1 ·
cycling my 10 gallon,lightly planted freashwater aquarium.fish-in cycle using rosy red minnows(fathead minnows) yesterday all my readings came back 0..on bettafish site some one suggested i come here and ask my questions.

ammonia-0
nitrate-0
nitrite-0
ph-7.6

started cycling first week of july.took first readings on july 6th.everything dropped back down to 0 as of yesterday.ammonia was at 0 for about a week.nitrate got no higher than like 20 or 40...stayed a constant 10 for a week.dropped to 0 the past few days..

nitrite got up to 5.dropped on and off.was at .25 yesterday morning.last night it was at 0.today at 0..

some1 says i should still have nitrates even though i have plants.

i have 2 filters,HOB quiteflow 10.and a DIY moving bed filter....

subtrate-rock
live plants-red ludwigia
fake plants,everal hiding decor.

heated at 78 degrees but sometimes gets up to 82 becaue my A/C will go out at times(live in an apartment complex.have no control on fixing the A/C)

i also have some chemicals...
1.strontium chloride
2.blended calcium salts
3.sodium hydroxide

any ideas what these are for?

i am kinda curious why my nitrates are so low.i say 0.but its not exactly the yellow and not red.its more orange..between 0 and 5..

API master test kit

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
As long as ammonia and nitrite are zero, I would not worry about nitrates at zero. From your info, the nitrates were present earlier, so there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Live plants can result in zero nitrates, and ludwigia being a stem plant is a fast growing plant. This may be the reason. But I wouldn't worry.

Byron.

#3 ·
thank you Byron..every1 over at the betta forum wasnt sure and said come here.ome said its most likely the plants sucking up the nitrates.and at 1 point i had plenty.then just disappeared yesterday.i can share that info with others and help them out :) someone suggested i wasnt testing correctly.

i use both bottles in the test kit and shake like crazy.for more than 10 seconds...tapping it on the counter inside a rag not to break the glass tube.but im surly glad i have nothing to worry about.and i didnt think every aquarium had to have traces of nitrates.maybe i finally cycled my tank correctly this time :)

again thank you..i really appreciate it

#7 ·
i did my test again this morning.this time i decided to shake the #2 nitrate bottle a little longer like i use too and the tube a little longer also..got 5ppm on nitrate.ammonia and nitrite at 0 still :)day 3 still confirms it...i had nitrate readings before.just so low it didnt go up to 5 but wasnt at 0 either..once i shook the bottle like before i got the more proper readings..

#8 ·
You can go to Aqadvisor.com and play with their fish stocking calculator. While it doesnt take into account your plants, its a good guide to show how to not have an overstocked tank. It will also show some compatibility guidelines.

#12 ·
I know nothing about those minnows, but I am suspicious that a Betta is not a suitable companion. The Betta is tropical, minnows are temperate for one issue, then there is the behaviour.

#13 ·
ive done some research on them.a bout a months worth..they can handle temps from a few degrees above freezing up into the 90's.mine are at about 78 and sometimes reach up to 82 when my A/C goes out.i have extra air line running to produce oxygen for them.

a gotten off of wikipedia

"These fish are social, active, and moderately hardy. "

and they do prefer temps around 70..i use to catch these for fun in Louisiana.they use to live in our sewer ditches...

id be more concerned on how the betta will treat them.but im pretty confident.not cocky but confident.

i have 4 in my 10 gallon.they are as happy as can be.they always come up to me when i go to the tank.eat like pigs.hold their color.but im also wanting to keep them with a betta to do my own research so if anyone else ever wants to have them as pets and house them.atleast someone will know more about them and can give info needed :)

i also used a website that will tell u what compatible and not and if the bioload etc can handle them.

i just dont know if its safe now to add my male betta to the 10 gallon.ammonia and nitrate been at 0 for about 3-4 days.nitrate is at 5ppm and doesnt really get any higher lately.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.