Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New to the site, but not to fish lol (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-site-but-not-fish-lol-10976/)

EWC88 01-17-2008 06:31 PM

New to the site, but not to fish lol

Hey guys I just joined this site and saw some gorgeous tanks! I've been in the SW tanks lately and starting to build one for me. But I have a 10g spare tank that I would like to be up and running. Now it was just housing a Japenese fighter fish but it just died a hour ago so now its a empty tank. I really don't know what I would like to do. I love the planted tank but what all is involved with that? What do I need?

But I also feel bad for those fighter fish cause they sit in those little cups at the pet store and would like to give them a bigger tank. I was debating on splitting the 10g in half so I could house 2 of the fighter fish but still don't know yet what to do.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

-EWC

GregV 01-17-2008 06:55 PM

you should and shouldnt feel bad for the bettas in the store.

tho they are put in little cups and it is inhuman, once people buy them they are rarly ever kept in the cups, Also the sales on bettas are rather high, so most of them are not in the cups for longer then a month at most.

but dividing the 10 would work find. and u should get some displaying males which are kinda cool.

EWC88 01-17-2008 07:01 PM

Are the males alowwed to be houses with the females?

What are your thoughts on a planted tank? Are they hard? what all would I need?

SST 01-17-2008 07:04 PM

No, keep the males separate and alone. Don't put them with the females unless you're breeding them, and then only while they are breeding.

Dividing a 10 gal. would be great. Plants will be wonderful. Or not. Some people just use silk. I don't know much about plants, but if you pop over to the plant forum, they can help you. Or do a search 'cause I know its been discussed before.

Welcome to fish forum!

GregV 01-17-2008 07:08 PM

Males can only be alone - and rarely with a female when you are breeding.

You CAN however, have a group of 6 or more femles in a tank if its big enough.

planted tanks can be easy or hard - depending on what you want. They are much more rewarding then Plastic plants.

EWC88 01-17-2008 07:13 PM

I was thinking if I stuck with the betta fish then I will be using fake plants and everything like that.

Or if I wasn't doing the betta I would then do a planted tank.

Only reason why I want to do a planted tank without the betta in it cause I would like to house other fish and I'm not sure nor know if bettas can be housed with other fish.. I guess they have too but not to sure

GregV 01-17-2008 07:28 PM

Passive bettas can be put with slower moving, docile fish.

Holly 01-17-2008 07:31 PM

Yes, they can be with quite a few other fish. They're normally only aggressive to their own species. I know we've had this discussion before, unfortunately, I don't have time to find the post right now. If you look in "Fish Compatability" there's a topic for betta's and it's in there. They're good with most livebearers off the top of my head but I know there's a long list. They like planted aquariums also by the way.

EWC88 01-17-2008 07:40 PM

I looked under the thread and either I must of passed it or didn't even see it by I looked through the first 5 pages, would it be farther?

Holly 01-18-2008 10:53 AM

Sit tight for right now. Bettababy should be on sometime this weekend and she will be the best to answer this question. I have to talk to her about some other stuff so I'll ask her to take a look at this post also.