Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   Future pond: Do I need anything else? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/future-pond-do-i-need-anything-109723/)

eaturbyfill 08-04-2012 11:11 PM

Future pond: Do I need anything else?

De-Icer: Perfect Climate Deluxe Pond De-Icers: $40
Pond Liner from Lowe's: smartpond 220g: $140
Filter & Pump: Pondmaster 190gph: $60
Aeration: Laguna Aeration Kit: $30
Fake Lily Pads: $10
Thermometer: $10
Testing Kit: $20
Water Conditioner: $10
Jumbo Krill Treats, Flakes, and Hikari Wheat-Germ Food: $30
Skimmer Net: $10

Please help me out. (: In a few years, I plan on having my own little goldfish pond. How many common goldfish would be okay in this size, and is there any equipment I am leaving out? Thank you!

92smokeaccord 08-06-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaturbyfill (Post 1185268)
De-Icer: Perfect Climate Deluxe Pond De-Icers: $40
Pond Liner from Lowe's: smartpond 220g: $140
Filter & Pump: Pondmaster 190gph: $60
Aeration: Laguna Aeration Kit: $30
Fake Lily Pads: $10
Thermometer: $10
Testing Kit: $20
Water Conditioner: $10
Jumbo Krill Treats, Flakes, and Hikari Wheat-Germ Food: $30
Skimmer Net: $10

Please help me out. (: In a few years, I plan on having my own little goldfish pond. How many common goldfish would be okay in this size, and is there any equipment I am leaving out? Thank you!

i have been told that to figure a good size pump for a filter is to have the gph match or be higher then the gallon size of the area of water.that aeration kit you dont really need a water fall should be good enough.older gold fish are really hardy.one time i had sprung a major leak in my tank and i filled the tub and tossed them in.they were fine for a few days in there so i could fix the tank.i smelled but they were happy.lol

eaturbyfill 08-06-2012 02:10 PM

Thanks! I really had no idea what I would and wouldn't need.

thekoimaiden 08-07-2012 12:04 PM

I love planning ponds! I agree with 92smokeaccord. With a goldfish pond you'll need a gph higher than your pond's gallonage. If you want a tall waterfall (higher than 5 feet) you'll want to look for a pump with a high head pressure. If not, you can get a pump with lower head pressure.

I don't think you will need the aerator either. Just make sure the waterfall produces good surface movement and add some plants. Floating plants like water lettuce and water hyacinth are great for absorbing nutrients, adding oxygen, and blocking out algae. If you see gasping at the surface in summer, then you'll need it tho. If at all possible, try to put the pond in shade. It will help keep the water cooler and reduce the amount of algae.

The de-icer is not something I would normally use. How deep is this pond going to be? Do other ponds in your area regularly freeze over? This is going to be something to talk to other people in your area about.

eaturbyfill 08-07-2012 04:46 PM

It says the deepest point is 21". It does freeze over here sometimes. I have seen even deep ponds with a layer of ice. The amount depends on the weather, though.. Sometimes we have a mild winter and sometimes it's more harsh.

thekoimaiden 08-07-2012 05:13 PM

Hmm. Then it might not be a bad idea to have some kind of pond heater on hand. I know this last winter was rather mild, but who knows what the next one will be like. You can also look into cattle water trough heaters. Sometimes, if it isn't too cold, just a simple pond bubbler will provide enough surface movement to keep the pond surface from freezing.