Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   "fish whisperer" (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/fish-whisperer-109654/)

mxdee 08-04-2012 02:03 PM

"fish whisperer"

Hey Everyone!
In a galaxy far, far away, some 20 years ago...
my husband and I were successful fish keepers. We had three freshwater tanks, with the largest being a 100 gal. Our favorite fish we're our Dempseys, an arawana, and the tank of Discus. I truly thought when I married, that my husband was a "fish whisperer".

Fast forward to this past April, my son gave me a 30 gallon for my birthday:lol: My husband and I do not recall water testing, and needing to be educated in water chemistry. I have spent many hours researching all my questions. I have visited this forum many times and have found it to be one of the most knowledgeable. I finally realized, that if I was going to be a "fish whisperer", I had to align myself with true masters!

GwenInNM 08-04-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxdee (Post 1184575)
Hey Everyone!
In a galaxy far, far away, some 20 years ago...
my husband and I were successful fish keepers. We had three freshwater tanks, with the largest being a 100 gal. Our favorite fish we're our Dempseys, an arawana, and the tank of Discus. I truly thought when I married, that my husband was a "fish whisperer".

Fast forward to this past April, my son gave me a 30 gallon for my birthday:lol: My husband and I do not recall water testing, and needing to be educated in water chemistry. I have spent many hours researching all my questions. I have visited this forum many times and have found it to be one of the most knowledgeable. I finally realized, that if I was going to be a "fish whisperer", I had to align myself with true masters!

Welcome! I'm no master, but many are here! What are you planning on stocking in the tank?

Gwen

eaturbyfill 08-04-2012 02:36 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Romad 08-04-2012 06:46 PM

LOL. Welcome to the forum :wave:

We're here to help so ask anything you need to along the way.

SeaHorse 08-04-2012 07:51 PM

Welcome mxdee!!!

mxdee 08-05-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1184601)
Welcome! I'm no master, but many are here! What are you planning on stocking in the tank?

Gwen

Well Gwen, I plan to stock anything that survives! Seriously, I would like to add more angels. I currently have 1 marble veil angel that's been to hell and back. It's one of my original fish when I started up my tank in April. His name is Fin, as at one point he was disabled with almost no fins! He is now morphed into a beautiful, healthy new fish. (Melafix, Pimafix,and clean water) He has so much personality and energy, it is amazing! His buddy Louie resides in the rose garden:( I have tried adding a few angels, but the others never made it. In my local area, the only fish stores that have survived the economy are Petsmart and Petco. So I have wondered about the quality of the fish I am purchasing. The other tank mates are; 1 neon blue dwarf gourami,1 honey dwarf gourami,2 pineapple swordtail,1 candystripe pleco, and a couple of neon tetras. I am awaiting a response to a lengthy pm, in regards to my latest concern on use of ro water and the possibility my tank water is too pure.

Olympia 08-05-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxdee (Post 1185909)
Well Gwen, I plan to stock anything that survives! Seriously, I would like to add more angels. I currently have 1 marble veil angel that's been to hell and back. It's one of my original fish when I started up my tank in April. His name is Fin, as at one point he was disabled with almost no fins! He is now morphed into a beautiful, healthy new fish. (Melafix, Pimafix,and clean water) He has so much personality and energy, it is amazing! His buddy Louie resides in the rose garden:( I have tried adding a few angels, but the others never made it. In my local area, the only fish stores that have survived the economy are Petsmart and Petco. So I have wondered about the quality of the fish I am purchasing. The other tank mates are; 1 neon blue dwarf gourami,1 honey dwarf gourami,2 pineapple swordtail,1 candystripe pleco, and a couple of neon tetras. I am awaiting a response to a lengthy pm, in regards to my latest concern on use of ro water and the possibility my tank water is too pure.

Chances are your Fin was defending his territory from the "invading" angel fish. If he is full grown, you can try sexing him using the photo below. After you're pretty sure of his gender, I'd probably start looking for another adult of the opposite gender.. You may want to try online, place an ad, not sure. Don't think petco/petsmart sell adults. But this is probably the only way you'll get Fin a friend that he'll accept, a breeding partner.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...l-care-005.jpg

If you are using ONLY RO water, you must buy a mineral supplement. Fish take minerals from the water and will start having deficiencies without these minerals.

LADY K 08-05-2012 07:36 PM

welcome to forum.:-) it is very informative.loads of information.

mxdee 08-06-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1185962)
Chances are your Fin was defending his territory from the "invading" angel fish. If he is full grown, you can try sexing him using the photo below. After you're pretty sure of his gender, I'd probably start looking for another adult of the opposite gender.. You may want to try online, place an ad, not sure. Don't think petco/petsmart sell adults. But this is probably the only way you'll get Fin a friend that he'll accept, a breeding partner.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...l-care-005.jpg

If you are using ONLY RO water, you must buy a mineral supplement. Fish take minerals from the water and will start having deficiencies without these minerals.

Thanks for the sexing pic! Fin is a male.
My initial tank set up was tap, until discovering my water quality. Have been using straight RO for a while. I have read online the importance of minerals. So far, this topic of discussion seems to be above the knowledge of the employees at the local fish store. We recently installed a soft water system. My reverse osmosis filters this same water.
Using the API 5 in 1 test strips, here's my results:
PH, Tap water=7.5+, RO and Tank=6.5+
GH, Tap=0, RO, Tank=0
KH, Tap=240!, RO=maybe 40 Tank=40
Nitrite, Tap, RO, Tank=0
Nitrate, Tap=40, RO=20?, Tank=40
Amonia, Tank=0

What are my best options? I came across a product, RO right 1000gm on Aquarium Guys site. I also recall a product, Seachem Trace Elements. And I read an article on basic water chemistry, live aquaria, which states the easiest way to add minerals is in the form of a calcium-based rock. I know some suggest using part tap water, but I am assuming this would not be a consideration for me.

So far, I have one live plant cluster which looks healthy. I had noticed a couple skeletized leaves recently, which are now non existent. I have not put my gravel back in since a recent amonia spike. I have a bio wheel, which I have added zeolite crystals. Will it be possible to create a naturally balanced planted tank?