Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Hardiest of the small corys?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/hardiest-small-corys-109546/)

grannyfish 08-03-2012 01:14 PM

Hardiest of the small corys??

Which of smallest Corys: Salt & Pepper (C. habrosus): Dwarf (C. hastatus) or Pygmy (C. pygmaeus) would be the easiest to keep in a 10 gallon planted tank?

And is 6 definitely the least number to keep?

DKRST 08-03-2012 03:48 PM

I think you could sneak a group down to 5, but wouldn't want to go lower than that. I can only speak to the salt and pepper corys. I enjoy them, but they are on the shy side compared to the C. aeneus. I have had good success with the pepper cory, but like many of the corys, they should not be used to cycle a tank (although I did, not knowing...). I'm also keeping them in a 55 gallon, so a 10g seems restrictive to me, but it could work.

EDIT - sorry, mixed up C. paleatus and your species. Disregard most of what I said!!

grannyfish 08-03-2012 04:10 PM

Thanks for responding!

Byron 08-05-2012 03:52 PM

I would agree on five being minimum for most corys, but not the "dwarf" species. These definitely do much better with higher numbers, and in a 10g you could have 9 which is the minimum I would aim for.

There are actually several cory species that remain quite small, although the three most commonly talked about are Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras hastatus, and Corydoras habrosus. The latter is almost not a "dwarf" as it does get a bit larger than the other two mentioned. I have, or have had, all three. They tend to be very delicate; as to which is less so, hard to say. I have not been able to get C. hastatus for many years, and from my experiences with the other two lately I don't know that either is hardier than the other.

A professional catfish importer/breeder advised me that they must have sand, and I will admit that since changing to sand they have lived longer. They also do not like high temperatures as in general community tanks. Dr. Neale Monks has said never above 75F, and I now have my C. pygmaeus and C. habrosus at this temp.

You can click the shaded names, as all three are in our profiles. At some point i shall likely add some of the other "dwarfs" although they are much less common in the hobby.

Byron.

grannyfish 08-05-2012 05:39 PM

I guess I will have trouble keeping any of these corys if I need to keep the temp at 75 or below in the summer. I have not been able to keep the tank temp much below 80 since I set it up about 6 weeks ago. I keep my house temp around 76. I suppose the light heats the water just enough to raise the temp several degrees. I raised the light up off the glass about 3/4" but that has not seemed to make any difference. Thanks, as always.

Byron 08-05-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyfish (Post 1186206)
I guess I will have trouble keeping any of these corys if I need to keep the temp at 75 or below in the summer. I have not been able to keep the tank temp much below 80 since I set it up about 6 weeks ago. I keep my house temp around 76. I suppose the light heats the water just enough to raise the temp several degrees. I raised the light up off the glass about 3/4" but that has not seemed to make any difference. Thanks, as always.

We can't help temporary weather-related changes in temperature. I have those too.