Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Plecotamus (help!!) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/plecotamus-help-10950/)

xoPinkStar07 01-16-2008 09:01 PM

Plecotamus (help!!)

Hi! I am a new member here and I joined because I am having trouble with my plecotamus. I have a 10 gallon tank with three goldfish. I have had the goldfish for over a year now. I purchased a plecotamus not long after I purchased my goldfish it lived for a good 6 months. Unfortunately he died and a week later I purchased another one it lived maybe a month. I took my water to the pet store and they tested it and said it was completely fine. I went without a plecotamus for awhile. Yesterday while I was at the pet store I decided to try one more. Since I have got him in the tank he hasn't come from under a rock in my tank. I know hes alive because I shined a flashlight in there. I dont know if hes dying in there (I sure hope not.) Any information or advice on whats going on in my tank. Is there anything you can feed them?? Thank you in advance! :)

Lupin 01-16-2008 09:36 PM

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

What strains are these goldfish? What species is your pleco? If you are unsure of its identity, I would suggest posting a photo of it. Your tank is overcrowded in my opinion. Goldfish and plecos contribute very heavy bioload. How often do you feed? What food do you use? What is the temperature right now? What filtration are you using?

As for water parameters, kindly post your results. This should include pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. What test kit is used? I would suggest you use API liquid test kit for accurate results. While this can be expensive, it is worth your investment. Ammonia and nitrites should not exceed above 0.25. Both are toxic substances which can kill your fish. I would like to know your nitrate level which is just as important. It should not exceed 40 ppm. If it is, do plenty of water changes to lower the level and reduce your number of fish or upgrade the tank to 55 gallons minus the pleco (if this species turns out to be a common pleco growing to 18-22 inches).

Lastly, plecos are tropical species whereas goldfish are coldwater species therefore the mix is incompatible.

Good luck.

GregV 01-16-2008 09:52 PM

what Lupin stated is quite correct, its a common misconception that plecos are even "tank cleaners". they do eat a little algea and they do clean up left over food, but they also produce ALOT of waste. Therefore in such a small tank water changes are very important.

One thing to note plecos are nocternal - therefore there will be little to no activity during the day.

nschluntz 01-24-2008 02:53 PM

You do need to feed the pleco. They sell algae wafers for just this reason. The bag usually has a photo of a pleco on it. You can't expect the pleco to survive on just algae in the fish tank. And some don't even eat the algae.