Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Will old carbon still absorb medication from the water? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/will-old-carbon-still-absorb-medication-109465/)

CTBettaLover 08-02-2012 06:24 PM

Will old carbon still absorb medication from the water?

Hello all! :)

I have a male crowntail betta with fin rot. I treated him in a Q tank for a week with aquarium salt and 75% water changes daily. This didnt seem to do much good. I also completely cleaned his tank while he was quarantined as I had a diatom and worm explosion due to an anacharis I purchased and did not properly clean before entering it into the tank. I finally got a gravel vacuum ( I had been doing pwcs by scooping out water ) and removed most of the substrate. I cleaned what i removed with vinegar but decided to just buy new gravel to make it easier. I was afraid I wasn't going to rinse all of the vinegar from the gravel. I vacuumed the bottom and removed almost all of the water. There was probably about 15% left after two thorough vacuumings. I cleaned the sides of the tank to remove any critters clinging there. I also rinsed all of my silk plants and decor with hot water, soaked in a vinegar solution, then rinsed with hot water and allowed to dry. This was to remove the slime covering it all ( Im guessing algae?) and all possible pests. I did this extreme cleaning also because my poor betta has developed fin rot, whether he had this already when I bought him I am not sure. It has gotten progressively worse since and so I decided it was time to make absolutely sure his tank was as pristine as possible. Afterwards I ran the filter for two days to cycle the bacteria from the sponge into the fresh tank water.

So, after treating with salt for a week with almost no visible improvement, I moved him back into his 10g tank. I also added a couple more silk plants for his enjoyment and relaxation. I purchased a couple medications for future problems as well as the current fin/tail rot. I bought maracyn oxy, jungle fungus clear "tank buddies" fizz tabs, and another Mardel medicine for ich and velvet ( cant seem to remember the name). I wasnt sure if I should use the Fungus Clear or Maracyn so I researched and read very good things about Maracyn oxy. I added the maracyn oxy (1/2 capfull) to his big tank and made sure to leave the filter off. I found it difficult to keep the ammonia down in his 1/2 gal Q tank even with 75% water changes daily. So I decided to use the big tank as it will be easier to keep the water perams in check. I use an Aqua-Tech 5-15 filter with biofiber and sponge with attached carbon.

The carbon is as old as the tank, about 2 months. I am wondering if this carbon will still remove the medication from his water allowing me to redose him and turn the filter off. I usually only run it for a couple-few hours a day. I dont like keeping the filter off to avoid the removal of the medication as the instructions say to continue filtration and oxygenation while medicating. So I want to treat him each day then filter it out at night. Also I am trying to understand if I do need to change the filter to get fresh carbon that will remove the medication how do I do so without causing a mini cycle and removing all of the good bacteria living in the sponge?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated! This is all so confusing. >.<

fishysrfun 08-02-2012 07:41 PM

The carbon is as old as the tank, about 2 months. I am wondering if this carbon will still remove the medication from his water allowing me to redose him and turn the filter off.
Any guidance is greatly appreciated! This is all so confusing. >.<

I don't know about the other stuff but carbon generally has to be replaced every month or so. Good luck getting your Betta back to full health!

CTBettaLover 08-03-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishysrfun (Post 1182287)

I don't know about the other stuff but carbon generally has to be replaced every month or so. Good luck getting your Betta back to full health!

So although I ran the filter all night last night to keep his water clean, I should NOT redose him with the maracyn today?