Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Is My 60 Gal Set-Up ok? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-60-gal-set-up-ok-109411/)

Chinxican1978 08-02-2012 12:37 PM

Is My 60 Gal Set-Up ok?

Hello All, I was wondering if the stock I have will work as the fish mature. They are all about 1.5" to 2". I have a 60 gal tank.
40 lbs of lace rock, a Whisper 60 and a Aqua 70. With the stock I have, how many more and what else would be a good addition to the tank.

Lithobates - yellow blaze x 1
Chilotilapia Rhoadesii x 1
Aulonocara - German Red x 1
Taiwan Reef -x 2 sex unknown
Aulonocara Maulana - Bi-Color 500 x 1
Copadichromis - Ivory Head Mloto x 1
Copadichromis Red Fin Borelyi x 1
Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi - Otter Point x 1
Aristochromis Christyi x 1

Thank you in advanced.

Tazman 08-04-2012 05:12 PM

What length is the 60g tank?

Absolutely no additions with the exception of maybe a BN pleco for bottom feeding.

The aristochromis is a beautiful fish when mature but requires a 5-6ft long tank as it grows to about 11".

There could be some issues with the aulonocara and copadichromis as well, they are somewhat aggressive to their own species.

If any of this mix is female then you have very major problems ahead. All male is pushing it in a 60g tank but if a female is present it will be WW3 with the males all fighting over the lone female regardless of what species she is.

Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi could be a major problem as it is not as peaceful as the other Aulonocara you have there.

Chinxican1978 08-06-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1184684)

Absolutely no additions with the exception of maybe a BN pleco for bottom feeding.

The aristochromis is a beautiful fish when mature but requires a 5-6ft long tank as it grows to about 11".

There could be some issues with the aulonocara and copadichromis as well, they are somewhat aggressive to their own species.

If any of this mix is female then you have very major problems ahead. All male is pushing it in a 60g tank but if a female is present it will be WW3 with the males all fighting over the lone female regardless of what species she is.

Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi could be a major problem as it is not as peaceful as the other Aulonocara you have there.

The tanks 48". okay I will not add anymore fish. Maybe a BN Pleco.
At least until I upgrade. Also, as soon I see a female, I will remove her. I do not want WW3 or any fry.

Thank you again!!

Chr1s 08-06-2012 11:35 PM

Really nice tank, those fish are huge. How long have you had them.

Chinxican1978 08-07-2012 03:07 AM

All my fish are about 1.5-2.5"
Thanks!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chinxican1978 08-07-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1184684)

Hey Taz, as I was doing a 25% w/c, I saw 1 fry under the tank... I mind boggling because my fish are too young to have fry.. Right?? They are all about 1.5"-2.5".
You would think if someone was prego, they would have 30+ fry. Also, I'm not sure who the mother is... Should the mom protect the area where I saw the fry? It's just weird.
Unless when I purchased the BN Pleco the fry was in there. But I used a net to fish out the pleco when introducing him to the tank... Weird I tell you...

Tazman 08-07-2012 08:17 PM

Some of the fish you have could quite easily spawn at 2.5" but it is quite rare. I suspect unless there is a ton of hiding places, the pleco if much larger will have got the fry. They are very good at doing that.

Usually broods are 30-40 fry but sometimes a female who is young will eat most of the eggs or they will go unfertilized, to be eaten by the other fish. Occasionally though a few may make it and that it what could have happened with you.

Chinxican1978 08-08-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1189312)
Some of the fish you have could quite easily spawn at 2.5" but it is quite rare. I suspect unless there is a ton of hiding places, the pleco if much larger will have got the fry. They are very good at doing that.

Usually broods are 30-40 fry but sometimes a female who is young will eat most of the eggs or they will go unfertilized, to be eaten by the other fish. Occasionally though a few may make it and that it what could have happened with you.

Thanks for the info Taz... there are a bunch of hiding places in my tank. The 1 fry is is a small hiding place under one of the rocks. He has already doubled his size since I first saw it. I'm not even sure how he/she is even eating. I feed my fish once a day and it's at the opposite side of the tank. It would be nice to see if grow. Do you think it would survive in my tank? I do not have a hospital tank so there is no where to put the baby in.
My pleco is about 4" but the baby does not look like a pleco.

Tazman 08-08-2012 10:56 PM

Provided it remains hidden until it feels safe enough to come out then I see no reason why it would not survive as it has been doing so far.

Usually by a certain age, unless the tank mates are way bigger than it, they will kind of leave it alone anyways, thinking it was there from the beginning.

Keep us posted as to how it progresses and perhaps try and get a picture if you can, dont go disturbing things just for the picture though, wait until it comes out. If you get one we can try and help establish what it might be :-)

Chinxican1978 08-09-2012 12:30 PM

Thank you very much Taz, I will try to get a pic and show you.