Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Clown loaches (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/clown-loaches-109404/)

Joe1985 08-02-2012 09:58 AM

Clown loaches

Hey I got a question, I have a single clown loach that I'm going to put in my 60G tank and I want to get him some friends, do you think I should get more clown loaches to keep him company? If so how many? Or us there any other fish that he would be ok to school with? Do clowns get along with the Pakistani loaches??
Posted via Mobile Device

Philnominal 08-02-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe1985 (Post 1181498)
Hey I got a question, I have a single clown loach that I'm going to put in my 60G tank and I want to get him some friends, do you think I should get more clown loaches to keep him company? If so how many? Or us there any other fish that he would be ok to school with? Do clowns get along with the Pakistani loaches??
Posted via Mobile Device

Couple things, loaches need to be in a minimal of three per species and do much better with 6+. They otherwise tend to get aggressive and/or shy. They are social animals and you would get much more enjoyment out of them with there being comfortable and being able to school with one another.

The next thing is that a full grown clown loach is much to big for a 60 gallon tank. anything less then 6ft is probably to small for them. They can reach a foot long and are very thick fish at full length.

thekoimaiden 08-02-2012 12:56 PM

While clown loaches (and loaches in general) need at least 3 individuals of a single species to feel comfortable, I do remember you (OP) saying you didn't want to get rid of this fish and can't get a large enough tank for a school of adult clown loaches. With that in mind, the clown will do okay with other large botine loaches like the ladder loach and yoyo loach. I'm not saying this will be fool-proof, but it will help your clown more than keeping it as the sole loach in the tank.

Joe1985 08-05-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1181734)
While clown loaches (and loaches in general) need at least 3 individuals of a single species to feel comfortable, I do remember you (OP) saying you didn't want to get rid of this fish and can't get a large enough tank for a school of adult clown loaches. With that in mind, the clown will do okay with other large botine loaches like the ladder loach and yoyo loach. I'm not saying this will be fool-proof, but it will help your clown more than keeping it as the sole loach in the tank.

thanks koi maiden, really appreciate the advice, next time im in my local pet shop ill be grabbing a few yo yos and possibly a few black widow tetras, hope the clown will be happy, since ive put him in with the new tank and the kissing gouramis hes been very active not constantly hiding