Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   75 Gallon Amazon and 29 Gallon Community (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/75-gallon-amazon-29-gallon-community-109288/)

Termato 08-01-2012 10:44 AM

75 Gallon Amazon and 29 Gallon Community

Okay so I figured I would start a new journal as I am starting a new tank. I am moving back home to Rockville, MD into the basement of my mothers house...yay! Actually, as soon as I get a job I will be out the door running to get my own place.

Right now I have not yet moved so I have the 75 empty and Neons, Rasboras and the a Bolivian in the 29.

Here is what I am planning and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please feel free.

29 Gallon Freshwater Planted Community
  • 14-16 Harlequin Rasboras. (8 Current)
  • 8-10 Kuhli Loachs
  • 1 Male Dwarf Gourami (1 Current)
  • 1 Male Bristlenose Pleco (1 Current)

75 Gallon Amazon Planted Tank
  • 40-50 Neon Tetras (12 Current)
  • 20-25 Bronze Cory (4 Current)
  • 5-8 Bolivian Rams (2 Current Males in difff tanks)
  • 1 Male Albino Bristlenose Pleco (1 Current)

I was thinking about this large school of Neons or maybe two schools of 25 but I don't know what other fish. Cardinals?

I could also think about doing two schools of cories.

Here is what the 29 currently looks like. I'm planning on removing the gravel and making is maybe flourite with sand or soil and sand. I need advice and thoughts on this. I will be moving Thursday and setting them up then. Not much time :/

The main idea is to get this tank to have mainly rocks and plants, I am going to need some wood for the bristlenose and hiding spots but I mainly want a mountain side. I can put a cave in the middle.

http://www.termato.net/wp-content/up...pdate29Gal.jpg

This picture of the 75 is just me putting the rocks in. I'm moving the big two rocks into the 29 to create that mountain side. I am leaning more towards a heavily planted tank with more wood in it. I think I will need smaller rocks and bigger pieces of wood. I have enough plants though.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...39778629_o.jpg

Chesh 08-05-2012 07:11 PM

HOORAY FOR TERMIE!!!!

I have no idea about stocking, but you're gonna LOVE those Kuhli! I really think you'll enjoy your Bolivians, too, if they're kept in the right conditions and get along well in a group as mine do. My shoal of tetra is so amazing to watch at #20, I can't imagine how neat 40+ will be together. . . very cool plans.

You've been giving a fresh start, in a way. . . living with your mom might not be the best for YOU, but for your fish, I think it's the best thing that could have happened! Soft water with no nitrates out of tap is going to make everyone's lives much easier, and with all you've learned since you started, I'm sure things will go more smoothly with the 75.

I'm looking forward to watching you create/remake a pair of beautiful tanks - It's gonna be a fun time. Just promise me. . . take things slow, do ALL your homework, and QT the HECK outta those new fishies this time around, neh? I know you will, cuz' you live closer to me now, and I'll come find you and kick your rear if you don't! ;-)

Keep us posted!

Termato 08-05-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1186257)
HOORAY FOR TERMIE!!!!

I have no idea about stocking, but you're gonna LOVE those Kuhli! I really think you'll enjoy your Bolivians, too, if they're kept in the right conditions and get along well in a group as mine do. My shoal of tetra is so amazing to watch at #20, I can't imagine how neat 40+ will be together. . . very cool plans.

You've been giving a fresh start, in a way. . . living with your mom might not be the best for YOU, but for your fish, I think it's the best thing that could have happened! Soft water with no nitrates out of tap is going to make everyone's lives much easier, and with all you've learned since you started, I'm sure things will go more smoothly with the 75.

I'm looking forward to watching you create/remake a pair of beautiful tanks - It's gonna be a fun time. Just promise me. . . take things slow, do ALL your homework, and QT the HECK outta those new fishies this time around, neh? I know you will, cuz' you live closer to me now, and I'll come find you and kick your rear if you don't! ;-)

Keep us posted!

Haha chesh. Yea i need to get the actual number of HOW soft this water is. Its around or below 12dgh im sure.

Im gonna post some new pictures up later. :)

Chesh 08-05-2012 07:58 PM

Can't wait for the pics AND for the numbers on your water. Oh how NICE for the fish. . . Have any of your plants shown any signs of confusion over the water change yet? I wonder if they'll have to go through a regrowth period, or if things will be close enough otherwise that they'll take it with no problems. . .

Byron 08-06-2012 12:31 PM

With respect to your stocking lists in post #1:

29g I would have slightly fewer rasbora, and suggest another species or two. Unless you want only the one species. No problem with that, I don't know your intention, whether more a species-only or community.

In the 75g i would not have so many Bolivians. This species does best in solitude, or a bonded pair, as noted in the profile. I have a male in my 5-foot 115g tank, and I cannot imagine more. He killed the female previously.

Byron.

1077 08-06-2012 12:45 PM

I would for sure consider quarantine tank for all new fish especially the neon's.
Neon's are not nearly as hardy a fish as they used to be in my view ,and I fear trying to get the number's you seek for the 75 gal would mandate that I (were it me), quarantine the new fishes lest they otherwise get sick in main tank, and spread pathogen or virus unkown throughout the tank.
I recently (few month's) lost nearly forty fish from 80 gal tank after introducing a dozen neon's to try and increase the school.
I often preach the use of quarantine and neglected to heed my own advice.
It came back to bit e me in the !%$.

Termato 08-06-2012 11:25 PM

Chesh, you just got a picture from me on Skype lol. Once my phone works correctly I'll post them on here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1187060)
With respect to your stocking lists in post #1:

29g I would have slightly fewer rasbora, and suggest another species or two. Unless you want only the one species. No problem with that, I don't know your intention, whether more a species-only or community.

In the 75g i would not have so many Bolivians. This species does best in solitude, or a bonded pair, as noted in the profile. I have a male in my 5-foot 115g tank, and I cannot imagine more. He killed the female previously.

Byron.

Yeah I can see how that could be too many. Another species of rasboras? What would you recommend? I'm open to suggestion.

Well i just want the Kuhli loachs, the rasboras and the gourami...unless you think another fish would go well. I just like those fish in general...although the gourami is a stand out...

I'm really going to have to think about the Bolivians and what to do with them. Right now I have 10 cories in the 10 Gallon QT tank. i just got them today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1187080)
I would for sure consider quarantine tank for all new fish especially the neon's.
Neon's are not nearly as hardy a fish as they used to be in my view ,and I fear trying to get the number's you seek for the 75 gal would mandate that I (were it me), quarantine the new fishes lest they otherwise get sick in main tank, and spread pathogen or virus unkown throughout the tank.
I recently (few month's) lost nearly forty fish from 80 gal tank after introducing a dozen neon's to try and increase the school.
I often preach the use of quarantine and neglected to heed my own advice.
It came back to bit e me in the !%$.

Yeah I absolutely am going to do that. I have the new cories as I mentioned above in the 10G QT tank right now.

I was thinking about Cardinals....what do you think about maybe 1 school of Neons and 1 of Cardinals...each 12 at the LEAST....I'd like more...what do you think?

Yeah I had a problem like that when I introduced some rams and they had Camillanus. It wasn't pretty. I also learned the hard way.

I'm thinking about leaving the cories in there for 4 weeks if they seem healthy. 6-8 weeks should anything happen.

Chr1s 08-06-2012 11:27 PM

Cool idea, im thinking of going sand also for my 29gal.

Chesh 08-07-2012 12:52 AM

I personally think I'd go with a large number of a single type of Tetra, but I don't know about stocking - I just think that I'd like to watch such a big group of one species. . . I happen to have recently fallen in love with a shoal of Tetra though, lol!

I'm sure there's a standard recommended QT period, but out of curiosity, how long did you have Burt before you noticed that he was infected with the worms? QT at LEAST that long, cuz' that was a nightmare. . .

Termato 08-07-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1188148)
I personally think I'd go with a large number of a single type of Tetra, but I don't know about stocking - I just think that I'd like to watch such a big group of one species. . . I happen to have recently fallen in love with a shoal of Tetra though, lol!

I'm sure there's a standard recommended QT period, but out of curiosity, how long did you have Burt before you noticed that he was infected with the worms? QT at LEAST that long, cuz' that was a nightmare. . .

Im quite sure I had burt for 3-4 weeks before he showed any signs. i will be QT'ing for 4 weeks. It's so hard to wait but I will be patient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chr1s (Post 1188023)
Cool idea, im thinking of going sand also for my 29gal.

Yeah I have sand in the 29 and 75 right now. The sand in the 29 is darker so it looks weird though hahah. I'll take some pictures to post up here soon.