Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Just Getting Started...Tank Intro... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/just-getting-started-tank-intro-109278/)

Applewoo 08-01-2012 05:18 AM

Just Getting Started...Tank Intro...
 
Hi All!

I have just set up my 96 ltr aquarium and right now there is only the Fluval U3 Internal filter, and right now, the flow control is a bit confusing, but I'll get it figured out! Also, a big rock purchased from the local pet store, and an artificial rock piece with two holes in it. I have a Java Fern Windelov growing on bogwood coming later today, and some driftwood in the curing process right now. Speaking of which, the two small pieces I have (about 6-8"), I boiled the mess out of them and now that they are soaking, they have not released any tannin, this is day two soak, so I'm guessing that they are about ready, are they? I also have a medium size piece that I have been boiling and let sit over night in the pot, emptied it, and started boiling again this morning, I just want the bulk of the tannin out so my water is not tea colored, but I can live with a little tint, it may be better for the fish that will eventually go in there. All three pieces are not floating, but they never did, they all immediately sank to the bottom, so I am only waiting on the tannin release. I used Nutrafin Cycle Bio as a booster, and Nutrafin Aqua Plus to condition the water. I have a T8 fluorescent bulb for light with a reflector. I plan to anchor Anubias to the pieces of driftwood, but I'm on the fence about Java Moss, I'm not sure if I want it taking over my tank, I'm a little nervous about that, being a beginner and all. I do want shrimp as well tho, so I guess I better choose wisely. All I do know, is that our three girls are anxious for fish! I have to keep reminding them that we have to keep the tank safe for them if we are going to make it their new home. They seem to be okay with that....for now. What are your opinions on Java Moss, and what would you all consider best for shrimp? Thank you, and I'm loving this forum! Oh yeah, one last thing, I plan on using EasyLife Carbo and Profito, and I haven't read anything on its compatibility with shrimp, anyone know anything about that?

Shar

Applewoo 08-01-2012 10:34 AM

Anyone? Lol :D

Byron 08-01-2012 02:26 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:wave:

Java Moss is not difficult to control, in my experience. Periodically just pulling some of it off/out works. I like the look of moss on the wood. And the tannins won't hurt anything; different types of wood release tannins differently.

As for the shrimp, I've never kept these (exscept brine shrimp as food;-)) so i will leave that for those with experience to comment. Now being summer, some members might be away, so don't be discouraged by few responses.

On the products Carbo and Profito, these are new names to me, if you could post a link to some info on what they are, I may be able to answer your question.

Byron.

Applewoo 08-01-2012 04:36 PM

Thank you Byron! I'm still researching shrimp, but have seen since the post that they seem to do well with those products. I probably won't use the recommended dose because the plants may not require it at the moment, as there will only be a few plants, I have room for many more. The dosage can vary for plant volume; most sites have recommended it. I am thinking of Tropica Sword as well (Echinodorus parviflorus tropica), so much to do and choose from with a planted aquarium! Here are the links for the products by EasyLife: ProFito ? English (USA) and EasyCarbo ? English (USA)

Byron 08-01-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applewoo (Post 1180617)
Thank you Byron! I'm still researching shrimp, but have seen since the post that they seem to do well with those products. I probably won't use the recommended dose because the plants may not require it at the moment, as there will only be a few plants, I have room for many more. The dosage can vary for plant volume; most sites have recommended it. I am thinking of Tropica Sword as well (Echinodorus parviflorus tropica), so much to do and choose from with a planted aquarium! Here are the links for the products by EasyLife: ProFito ? English (USA) and EasyCarbo ? English (USA)

I've not seen these products locally, or from my online suppliers. The ProFito is basically a comprehensive nutrient supplement very similar to Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive and Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Although there are a couple of minerals in ProFito that aquatic plants cannot use, but i shouldn't think these would cause issues for the fish or plants. And calcium is missing, but that is usually found in tap water unless it is very soft like mine.

To your initial question on shrimp, I shouldn't think they would be harmed by the ProFito, it contains copper as does Flourish and FlorinMulti but likely in minimal amounts that the plants can use. It is interesting though that this product requires 4 times the dose of Flourish per week. I wouldn't overdose it, just in case.

The EasyCarbo puzzles me, they don't say what it contains, and I distrust any product that doesn't tell you exactly what's in it.:-) If you have a container, does it happen to say on the label what the ingredients are?

Byron.

Applewoo 08-02-2012 05:07 PM

Ok, I got my Anubias, and my Sword in the post today, I went ahead and planted it, and my aquarium is coming along. I'm still waiting on that big piece of driftwood to release a bit more tannin, then it goes in to fill in the empty corner. I have not seen the ingredients to the easy carbo, but I am still tracking it down, however, it has a brilliant reputation here in the UK and Europe. The Aquatics specialists here recommended it as well. I'll add pics soon.

Applewoo 08-07-2012 08:28 PM

Well, I did my first water parameter tests today and everything is actually pretty decent. The pH was a bit off however, 7.6, I really want to neutralize it. I am still waiting on the driftwood to release a little more tannin, but plan to add it this weekend and order some more plants maybe. I do want to get 2 fish to try and help the cycle, but I'm still unsure about that as well. The tank has been up for 11 days and I turn the lights on for about 8-10 hours at night, pretty much when I'm sleeping, is this too much for low light plants?

Byron 08-07-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applewoo (Post 1189327)
Well, I did my first water parameter tests today and everything is actually pretty decent. The pH was a bit off however, 7.6, I really want to neutralize it. I am still waiting on the driftwood to release a little more tannin, but plan to add it this weekend and order some more plants maybe. I do want to get 2 fish to try and help the cycle, but I'm still unsure about that as well. The tank has been up for 11 days and I turn the lights on for about 8-10 hours at night, pretty much when I'm sleeping, is this too much for low light plants?

I'm a bit puzzled as to why the tank lights are on when you are sleeping...wouldn't it be better to have them on when you're awake to view the aquarium?

As for the duration, this depends upon the plants and available nutrients, and of course the light intensity. If light and nutrients are balanced, the plants can use them and algae won 't take advantage. However, with low-light plants which are naturally slower growing, they need less light and corresonding less nutrients. Each aquarium can be a bit different. You want light to be the limiting factor to plant photosynthesis, and then algae won't proliferate.

Applewoo 08-08-2012 03:52 PM

You know Byron, now that I think about it, I'm not sure what I was thinking, maybe mimicking natural daylight and night, but it makes since to do the opposite. I put three Mollies to push the cycle, but the water is perfect for them three days now... Maybe it's the plants.

marshallsea 08-09-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applewoo (Post 1190409)
You know Byron, now that I think about it, I'm not sure what I was thinking, maybe mimicking natural daylight and night, but it makes since to do the opposite. I put three Mollies to push the cycle, but the water is perfect for them three days now... Maybe it's the plants.

3 Mollies will outgrow your tank,IMO.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2