Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   25 gallon with DW (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/25-gallon-dw-109233/)

Pearl2011 07-31-2012 06:56 PM

25 gallon with DW

For the amazonian bio-type I am doing, I would like to include some red, but have no idea what to put in. The light is 2 25w bulbs. The driftwood touches each end of the tank and it about 9 inches high, the tank is 24x12x20. I already have Anacharis, and would like to put in pygmy chain sword around the driftwood, leave the front area open, but I dont know what to do for the back. I want the back really heavy planted to you cant see the wall behind the tank. Ugly pink molding. Would these plants work?
Amazon Sword
Dwarf Sword
Melon Swordplant
Red Melon Sword
Ruffled Amazon Sword
Uruguaysword
Brazilian Penny wort

I wont be using all of these, I need to figure out which ones to use and which ones not to and where to put them.

Byron 08-01-2012 10:56 AM

None of the swords will "fill in" a background, and some get far too large for a 20g.

First suggestion is to make a background from plain black construction paper; you can buy a sheet at a hobby or craft-type store and cut it to fit, then scotch tape it on. I have this on all my smaller tanks. It "disappears" so the tank looks larger, and you don't see what's behind it. The fish will also be more relaxed, and fish and plants look better against black. The construction paper is not shiny so it doesn't reflect.

I always like to see through to the back in at least one spot, it creates a feeling of increased depth. Like a "black hole" in space.:-)

Second, the Pennywort is good for background as it grows relatively straight. The dwarf sword would be a nice plant for the mid-ground, I would get 1 or 3.

Byron.

Pearl2011 08-01-2012 08:45 PM

I did the black back ground for my ten gallon, then the tape came off and its stuck behind my dresser.

So after thinking for a bit I think I have a plan. The driftwood kinda arches, so Im going to do a path under that for the cories, put a few pygmy chain sword by the driftwood, a amazon sword for one corner and Brazilian penny wort and Anacharis in the back. What do you think? Or would Red Melon Sword work better?

Pearl2011 08-03-2012 08:04 PM

Do sword get more wide then high? Because I have height if I went with an smaller species, but not dwarf. I think Melon Sword plant, Ruffled and Uruguay are a good size?

Olympia 08-03-2012 08:30 PM

Looking for red? Crypt wendtii is a good choice, low light. (There's a red form and a green form).
Uhh, I have a sunset hygrophilia, mine is pretty pink at the top. This is a plant that will do fine in low light but will be green, the more light you have the more pink it'll be. And yes, they are more pink than red.
The very tops of my bacopa are red as well, but it's more the parts that have grown out of the water.

Jayy 08-03-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl2011 (Post 1183696)
Do sword get more wide then high? Because I have height if I went with an smaller species, but not dwarf. I think Melon Sword plant, Ruffled and Uruguay are a good size?

I don't think you realize just how HUGE those swords can get, They can take over a 55. There's a guy on Youtube a that has a Ruffled Sword in this 120 that reaches the surface. It would be best to saty with something smaller.

Pearl2011 08-07-2012 04:38 PM

Sorry haven't been here in a while :p So busy . . .
It busted a 120 gallon??? *frantically scratches off list* Time to re think . . .:oops: I didnt think aquarium plants could get that big!! And I thought by Anacharis was big . . .
Anyway, I found a garden (not a fish tank I would like top model my tnak after. Let me find a picture . . . it has 7 different types of plants and I LOVE IT!! Its my fav garden.

EDIT: 8 plants, I forgot to count the tree O.o

Pearl2011 08-09-2012 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I have made a verrryyyyy long list of plants from south America. 48 plants to be exact. Here is the garden, although I might chnage m y mind . . again.

I use the . . . way to much!! (. . .)