Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Flowerhorn Problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/flowerhorn-problem-109178/)

GreyHounD 07-31-2012 08:49 AM

Flowerhorn Problem

Hey guys! I had a problem here, my flowerhorn was just 2 days old.

It stopped eating and just stays in a corner.

I feed it XO humpy head, but it just ignores it and I came to my local breeder he said he fed him live worms and PO2 pellets.

help me out here..

And can you identify what kind of FH is my FH and what's its gender?

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...hoto-0055m.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...oto-0050-1.jpg

jaysee 08-01-2012 10:13 AM

Well, fish don't eat when they are stressed, so i would look at different things that could be causing stress. Is this in a quarantine tank? I would not feed it or bother it in any way for the next couple of days and then try feeding it again.

On a side note....snakeheads? Really?? They are a very serious problem and should not be taken lightly. When you catch one fishing, you are supposed to kill it, then call Fish and Game. I was with someone who caught one fishing and did as we were supposed to do. Not only were they out the next day to shock (kill ALL fish) the pond, but they shocked ALL the ponds in the area, because they can travel and live on land for several days. We had to find a new place to fish.

Snakeheads are illegal in many countries for a reason - they destroy habitats. While they may be cool and impressive in some respects, they pose an insurmountable threat to our native fish populations and should be treated like the highly invasive species they are. No good can come from keeping one as a pet.

Sorry for the rant, but it is a very serious issue.

Philnominal 08-01-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1180305)
Well, fish don't eat when they are stressed, so i would look at different things that could be causing stress. Is this in a quarantine tank? I would not feed it or bother it in any way for the next couple of days and then try feeding it again.

On a side note....snakeheads? Really?? They are a very serious problem and should not be taken lightly. When you catch one fishing, you are supposed to kill it, then call Fish and Game. I was with someone who caught one fishing and did as we were supposed to do. Not only were they out the next day to shock (kill ALL fish) the pond, but they shocked ALL the ponds in the area, because they can travel and live on land for several days. We had to find a new place to fish.

Snakeheads are illegal in many countries for a reason - they destroy habitats. While they may be cool and impressive in some respects, they pose an insurmountable threat to our native fish populations and should be treated like the highly invasive species they are. No good can come from keeping one as a pet.

Sorry for the rant, but it is a very serious issue.

If i remember correctly he is from an area that has snakeheads native. Also they are only problematic for areas in which they can get a foot hold. Many people live in areas where snakeheads would not survive, let alone populate.

jaysee 08-01-2012 09:49 PM

True, I suppose the OP could be living in an african or asian nation.

They are problematic PERIOD. Such an unmatched apex predator doesn't have trouble getting a foothold, provided they can find a mate. In northern latitudes it does gets too cold for them over the winter. HOWEVER, I'm pretty certain that a fish that can travel a quarter mile on dry land can adapt over time to withstand the cooler temps, which is exactly what's happening. In my region, they have a foothold in the patomic river. That's far enough north to get freezing winters, yet they survive, thrive and are extending their range northward.

Olympia 08-01-2012 09:54 PM

I'm from a place where it hits -30C in the winter.. (converted.. -22F). Snakeheads are still illegal here.

Philnominal 08-01-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1181076)
True, I suppose the OP could be living in an african or asian nation.

They are problematic PERIOD. Such an unmatched apex predator doesn't have trouble getting a foothold, provided they can find a mate. In northern latitudes it does gets too cold for them over the winter. HOWEVER, I'm pretty certain that a fish that can travel a quarter mile on dry land can adapt over time to withstand the cooler temps, which is exactly what's happening. In my region, they have a foothold in the patomic river. That's far enough north to get freezing winters, yet they survive, thrive and are extending their range northward.

I live in Florida. I completely understand the threat of invasive species. We are the kings of invasive species, but I also understand that with proper care anything can be entertaining pet. No not practical... But say someone has the room to create an enclosure big enough for something like say a tiger to live, can provide the dietary and housing needs, and will take careful precautions on ensuring the safety of themselves and those around them I see no problem with them caring for a tiger as a pet, well without the obvious it's a wild animal it needs to be in the wild argument included.

The same goes for species. If we say that about snakeheads we can say that about pythons, piranha, or most other predators. I also understand that there are some people who live in climates where should something like the above stated were set free/escaped they simply wouldn't survive. Just because it is not for you or for your area does not mean it isn't for someone else.

Edit: Also in order to not completely derail the OP thread I figured I would add a little bit to this. Fish tend to avoid food when stressed. stress happens when they undergo experiences such as a new surrounding. Healthy fish should be able to go a week without feeding without problems.

jaysee 08-01-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 1181089)
The same goes for species. If we say that about snakeheads we can say that about pythons, piranha, or most other predators. I also understand that there are some people who live in climates where should something like the above stated were set free/escaped they simply wouldn't survive. Just because it is not for you or for your area does not mean it isn't for someone else.

Edit: Also in order to not completely derail the OP thread I figured I would add a little bit to this. Fish tend to avoid food when stressed. stress happens when they undergo experiences such as a new surrounding. Healthy fish should be able to go a week without feeding without problems.

African rock pythons and piranhas are illegal in many states, so yes, the same can be said about them. It's not a matter of being for me or for someone else. It's not for ANYONE when it's illegal. What happens if your escaped pet is found and captured by someone before it dies from the climate?? Then it becomes part of the illegal pet trade, ending up who knows where. The bottom line is that they are illegal, and there really is no good reason to have one. Nor do most aquarists have the means to properly keep one.

I said that in post #2 ;-)

Philnominal 08-01-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1181128)
African rock pythons and piranhas are illegal in many states, so yes, the same can be said about them. It's not a matter of being for me or for someone else. It's not for ANYONE when it's illegal. What happens if your escaped pet is found and captured by someone before it dies from the climate?? Then it becomes part of the illegal pet trade, ending up who knows where. The bottom line is that they are illegal, and there really is no good reason to have one. Nor do most aquarists have the means to properly keep one.

I still don't understand how you think it is right to go off on a tanget about this when you had no idea about the OP background? I believe if i remember correctly he is from the Philipines. Once again not everyone is from the Potomac or Florida. Yes you should not keep them if it is illegal for you to own, but what about people in Europe where it is legal to keep snakeheads or the people in Asia where they are native? Also many species of snakeheads grow to small enough sizes to be quite manageable in the home aquaria. Not all snakeheads grow to the proportions that giant snakeheads do.

Philnominal 08-01-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1181128)

Also i would like to point this statement out to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 1181089)
I also understand that there are some people who live in climates where should something like the above stated were set free/escaped they simply wouldn't survive.

This implies they would not be a problematic invasive species and most likely would not be illegal.

jaysee 08-01-2012 10:52 PM

I addressed the OP's problem first and foremost. I even apologized for my rant. You are making this an issue. The only reason I don't know where the OP lives is because they decided not to fill in that box.

Yes, some asian countries have purposely introduced them and use them for food. Obviously what I said is not relevant to people who live in places they are legal - didn't think that had to be said. The dwarf snakeheads grow to 10-12 inches, which is still way more fish than most aquarists can provide for.

You must have missed Olympias post.