Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Clouded Eyes Oscar <Long> (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/clouded-eyes-oscar-long-10913/)

gojoeighty 01-15-2008 04:58 PM

Clouded Eyes Oscar <Long>

About 2 months ago I cycled a friend's 55G tank, till he gets his 75g up. I showed him how to test the water, and how to do good water care. Two days ago he bought a 3" Oscar and a small Pleco.

Today he called me in a total panic, that the eyes on his new Oscar, had clouded over and that the Pleco looked like it was losing scales. Both fish were bought at the same Petsmart store that I frequent. I've never had a problem with them before.

Seachem test kit in hand, I went over to look and check his parameters. The Oscar did have cloudy eyes and the Pleco did appear to have some scales missing. First thing I checked was to make sure he hadn't added any new decorations. Then I tested his tank and these are the results:

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites:0
Water Temp: 78
Nitrates: 10 ppm
A few water changes will take care of the Nitrates. I suggested Prime and Stress Zyme with the changes and told him to make sure to add the Zyme weekly, not just with every water change. I told him again that testing his water every other day was a minimum (just because that's what I do).

What I don't know is, would the Nitrates at 10ppm cause these conditions?

He did tell me he had to clean off a build up of algae, off the lights and tank walls. He said he only used the Mag Float I gave him and rinsed the light guards off in the sink w/paper towels.

So to wrap up this long post, I told him to do daily 50% water changes till the Nitrates came down, and see if the conditions with the fish improve.

I hope this was sound advice. If there is something I've overlooked or something more I should do. I could sure use the advice and help.

Thanks so much!!
Gojo

gojoeighty 01-15-2008 06:15 PM

I re-tested the Nitrates again and the results were:

2ppm

I was reading the wrong scale. Apologies! :oops:

jeaninel 01-16-2008 02:03 AM

Nitrates of 10 are still well within the safe limit. It could be a result from the tank conditions they were in at the LFS.

gojoeighty 01-16-2008 06:05 AM

Is this a condition that requires treament? Melafix..etc? Will it go away after awhile? I told him to keep up the water changes.

Gojo

jeaninel 01-16-2008 10:54 AM

Poor water quality is one of the causes of cloudy eyes. Keep up on the water changes and it will probably clear up on it's own. Also, poor diet may contribute so be sure your friend feeds his Oscar a varied diet so his fish gets the nutrition it needs.