Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Green Terror Spawning Behaviour (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/green-terror-spawning-behaviour-109073/)

DrivingMissFishy 07-30-2012 08:27 AM

Green Terror Spawning Behaviour

I've got a pair of GTs that have been happily spawning for me for about 9 months and produce batches of fry quite consistently. The frequency on which they breed depends when I remove the eggs/fry. The last few spawnings however the male has become extra aggressive to the female and has caused her some damage. They usually lip lock and flare and nudge and stuff and she will end up with some cuts to her lips and cheeks. The last 2 times though her lips are torn up and she has a large gash down her cheek. It doesn't help that the male is much bigger than the female. Is this normal behaviour? I'm worried the female will end up dead and that would be so horrible!!
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 07-30-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrivingMissFishy (Post 1177400)
I've got a pair of GTs that have been happily spawning for me for about 9 months and produce batches of fry quite consistently. The frequency on which they breed depends when I remove the eggs/fry. The last few spawnings however the male has become extra aggressive to the female and has caused her some damage. They usually lip lock and flare and nudge and stuff and she will end up with some cuts to her lips and cheeks. The last 2 times though her lips are torn up and she has a large gash down her cheek. It doesn't help that the male is much bigger than the female. Is this normal behaviour? I'm worried the female will end up dead and that would be so horrible!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds normal to me.
Only you can make the call as to whether the female needs to be moved, or divider placed in the tank.
If I had no desire to rear fry, or outlet for them,, I would consider a single specimen tank for each, or one.
Situation won't in my view, get better but maybe separation (male) for a few week's, and then re-introduce the male, might make him less aggressive.(slim chance)
I think removing the female and then re-introducing the female would make thing's worse, for he would immediately resume desire to breed, and she being smaller (how much),, would be under considerable danger if advances by the male are not welcome.

DrivingMissFishy 07-30-2012 04:17 PM

I was worried about that, it just doesn't make sense to me because he gets more aggressive once the eggs are laid, an is pretty mellow at other times. They only paired by accident I never planned to breed them so I think perhaps I might just move on the male, he is beautiful someone will want him! The female is easier to keep with other fish (they seem happier with dithers)
Posted via Mobile Device