Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Talk to Me About Rainbow Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/talk-me-about-rainbow-cichlids-109048/)

Aoibhell 07-29-2012 10:58 PM

Talk to Me About Rainbow Cichlids

I've been reading up on them and I think I want to stock my 56G with one. I don't want to breed them, so I don't want a pair. I've read that they do well with livebearers like platys... has anyone had success with this?

I have some horntoad male mollies and a few platys that I need to separate to prevent further procreation in the livebearer love tank. I don't want them to become lunch, though.

Also, I'm looking for a few tankmates... what other peaceful fish will get along with rainbows? Would a blue gourami be compatible? What about yoyo loaches and corys?

What else can you tell me about rainbow cichlids?

1077 07-30-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aoibhell (Post 1177088)
I've been reading up on them and I think I want to stock my 56G with one. I don't want to breed them, so I don't want a pair. I've read that they do well with livebearers like platys... has anyone had success with this?

I have some horntoad male mollies and a few platys that I need to separate to prevent further procreation in the livebearer love tank. I don't want them to become lunch, though.

Also, I'm looking for a few tankmates... what other peaceful fish will get along with rainbows? Would a blue gourami be compatible? What about yoyo loaches and corys?

What else can you tell me about rainbow cichlids?

Never kept them with Livebearer's but kept a group with some Keyhole Cichlid's and loaches.
Found new homes for them when they began eating plant's.
Like the livebearer's,,they need a fair amount of greens in their diet .
While they may leave adult mollies,platy's alone,, I think fry would be on the menu.

Aoibhell 07-30-2012 08:32 AM

I definitely wouldn't put the fry in there. I also have a 40G that will house the fry and majority of the other fish- I just need to get the males out of there. How bad were the rainbows with the plants? Do you think they would leave them alone if I supplemented their diet with zucchini and such?

1077 07-30-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aoibhell (Post 1177404)
I definitely wouldn't put the fry in there. I also have a 40G that will house the fry and majority of the other fish- I just need to get the males out of there. How bad were the rainbows with the plants? Do you think they would leave them alone if I supplemented their diet with zucchini and such?

The water sprite and chain sword seemed to be their favorite. They decimated the leaves on these but left the anubia and crypt's alone.
Keyholes repeatedly dug up everything:evil:
Yes,the vegetable matter and maybe some New Life spectrum pellet food may help discourage this activity.