Is this some sort of Diatom....I have never seen it before but it is growing on my rocks and wood.
The black tufted stuff or the green stuff? Certainly not a diatom. Wish I could say I never saw it before but I think it's the same clumpy stuff I have in my 29. Started off looking like black "hair algae" then graduated to a thick black matt that covered wood and rock. Onceit became nearly one cm thick, you can remove it in chunky pieces.
I am hesitant to say what it is, because I have so many annoying algaes in that tank and to be honest I am not sure if they are separate entities or different phases of the same thing, like the three-headed dog that guards the gates of hell!
So you have my support, my friend, but no answers, and I will be patiently watching this thread because I would like to know the answer, too. . .
Yeah the black clumpy stuff. I'm really hoping its not black brush algae!
Posted via Mobile Device
Anyone? Someone must know out of the many people that hjave looked at this thread.
Yeah, thats BBA. If you want to get rid of it go to the pharmacy and get a plastic syringe and some Hydrogen peroxide. Fill the syringe and squirt each of the little clumps. On rocks it can just be sprayed over the surface of the rock. You should then see it bubble of the algae, and it will die in a few days. Don't use a ton all at once. I used a whole 40cc in my 20 gallon with no ill effects, but more could cause problems for both your fish and plants. Certain plants can be more sensitive, so if you are worried about a plant try a little to make sure it wont be harmed.
edit: You can do this every 12 hours, Hydrogen peroxide is not persistent and will evaporate
Ok thanks for that, I will give it a go. Theres a lot of literature on the web about using SAE's so I went and bought some. I will try this route first and then yours. Thanks again.
If anyone else has any info on this though please add to this post.
I might remove the wood and or rocks and scrub the stuff off, and only use the Peroxide on plant leaves if they too are affected.
Would for sure look at decreasing light intensity and or duration.
Can also google..."James algae guide" for some more info on causes of different types of algae.
Most ALL of my former problem's with algae (trust me it was lot's) was result of trying to use too much light over the tank for too long in belief that more light= more growth,faster growth .
Only thing that grew faster,,was algae and lot's of it.
More light = more demand for CO2 and nutrient's for plant's to do well .Algae need's way less of both so in their absence,,the algae takes off.
My Co2 and lighting are fine, I think the spores came off a plant I bought.
Odd thing is I never had BBA when I had SAE's, got rid of the SAE's and I now have BBA! lol
But hey,,you say it's fine. Okey dokey, Good luck.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.