Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Odd Algae (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/odd-algae-108949/)

JImi 07-29-2012 08:08 AM

Odd Algae

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Is this some sort of Diatom....I have never seen it before but it is growing on my rocks and wood.

Cheers
Jimi

sidluckman 07-29-2012 08:47 AM

The black tufted stuff or the green stuff? Certainly not a diatom. Wish I could say I never saw it before but I think it's the same clumpy stuff I have in my 29. Started off looking like black "hair algae" then graduated to a thick black matt that covered wood and rock. Onceit became nearly one cm thick, you can remove it in chunky pieces.

I am hesitant to say what it is, because I have so many annoying algaes in that tank and to be honest I am not sure if they are separate entities or different phases of the same thing, like the three-headed dog that guards the gates of hell!

So you have my support, my friend, but no answers, and I will be patiently watching this thread because I would like to know the answer, too. . .

JImi 07-30-2012 01:34 AM

Yeah the black clumpy stuff. I'm really hoping its not black brush algae!

Jimi
Posted via Mobile Device

JImi 07-31-2012 06:05 AM

Anyone? Someone must know out of the many people that hjave looked at this thread.

lorax84 07-31-2012 05:13 PM

Yeah, thats BBA. If you want to get rid of it go to the pharmacy and get a plastic syringe and some Hydrogen peroxide. Fill the syringe and squirt each of the little clumps. On rocks it can just be sprayed over the surface of the rock. You should then see it bubble of the algae, and it will die in a few days. Don't use a ton all at once. I used a whole 40cc in my 20 gallon with no ill effects, but more could cause problems for both your fish and plants. Certain plants can be more sensitive, so if you are worried about a plant try a little to make sure it wont be harmed.

edit: You can do this every 12 hours, Hydrogen peroxide is not persistent and will evaporate

JImi 08-01-2012 06:43 AM

Ok thanks for that, I will give it a go. Theres a lot of literature on the web about using SAE's so I went and bought some. I will try this route first and then yours. Thanks again.

If anyone else has any info on this though please add to this post.

Jimi

1077 08-01-2012 07:39 AM

I might remove the wood and or rocks and scrub the stuff off, and only use the Peroxide on plant leaves if they too are affected.
Would for sure look at decreasing light intensity and or duration.
Can also google..."James algae guide" for some more info on causes of different types of algae.
Most ALL of my former problem's with algae (trust me it was lot's) was result of trying to use too much light over the tank for too long in belief that more light= more growth,faster growth .
Only thing that grew faster,,was algae and lot's of it.
More light = more demand for CO2 and nutrient's for plant's to do well .Algae need's way less of both so in their absence,,the algae takes off.

JImi 08-01-2012 08:11 AM

My Co2 and lighting are fine, I think the spores came off a plant I bought.

Odd thing is I never had BBA when I had SAE's, got rid of the SAE's and I now have BBA! lol

Jimi

1077 08-01-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JImi (Post 1180143)
My Co2 and lighting are fine, I think the spores came off a plant I bought.

Odd thing is I never had BBA when I had SAE's, got rid of the SAE's and I now have BBA! lol

Jimi

According to your equipment for this tank ,Two 54 watt T5 bulb's and DIY CO2, I would either increase CO2 or as metioned, Decrease lighting.
But hey,,you say it's fine. Okey dokey, Good luck.

lorax84 08-01-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1180157)
According to your equipment for this tank ,Two 54 watt T5 bulb's and DIY CO2, I would either increase CO2 or as metioned, Decrease lighting.
But hey,,you say it's fine. Okey dokey, Good luck.

I have 2 54 watt T5s, and 2 36 watt T8s on my 55 with no CO2 and no algae. He may need to decrease the duration of lighting, but the overall intensity is fine.