Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   Reseal 125g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/reseal-125g-108945/)

Brandonl87 07-29-2012 07:01 AM

Reseal 125g

Hey guys well the 125g has a leak somewhere on the bottom.. I resealed the tank with aquarium silcone from petco and its now just a small leak somewhere.. Any ideas? Reseal the bottom? Or seal the outside bottom glass with marine B5200?
Posted via Mobile Device

sidluckman 07-29-2012 09:04 AM

How old is the tank? I just replaced a 15 year old 55 gallon because the top frame was splitting nearthe center brace. People suggested I get a new top molding, but after a certain point it's safer to replace: the sealant doesn't last forever and I was a nervous wreck wondering, each time I came home from work, is there gonna be fifty gallons of water all over the floor?

I also gave an old 125 gallon tank to a friend because after a respectable run, the glass had a lot of scratches and I no longer trusted it. He was gonna use it for a Water dragon and stash the tank in his basement, so that seemed like a good use for it.

When it comes to trying to stop a leak in a smaller tank, I'm all for giving it a go. I hope you find a solution that works for you, but I would never attempt a repair of this kind on so large a tank. The amount of pressure on the seals is so extreme, and the unlikelihood in getting a good seal without first cleaning all the surfaces to be joined makes me think the project is doomed. But believe me: I'm sympathetic because 125s don't come cheap.

I will continue to watch this thread, because I want to see if anyone has had success doing this, and meanwhile I wish you the best . . .

Brandonl87 07-29-2012 01:37 PM

I did clean the corners and seems with acetone tgen wiped off with water and dried it before resealing so idk.. I used the petco silicone ive seen online people use ge number 1 for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

sidluckman 07-29-2012 02:20 PM

Where are all your fish in the meanwhile? Or is this a tank you are hoping to use to expand your "fish room?"

Brandonl87 07-29-2012 07:51 PM

My fish are in the 55gal this 125gal is replacing the 55gal once i can figure out the leak
Posted via Mobile Device

sidluckman 07-29-2012 08:08 PM

They will- - I mean--YOU will love the 125. Good luck.

Brandonl87 07-29-2012 08:18 PM

Thanks well its holding water as of right now everythings running i tried puting some fish in an they go straight to the top gasping for air an dont move..? I can reach in an pick them up. I put them back in the 55 and their fine idk whats going on now
Posted via Mobile Device

sidluckman 07-29-2012 08:24 PM

Residual chemical from the sealant? Water not dechlorinated? Hold off and be safe. Test your water before attempting to move them again.

Do they recover once they are back in the 55?

Brandonl87 07-29-2012 08:30 PM

Thats what i was thinking idid a water change and i use prime. So im going to wait a couple days and let it run until i try it again but so much bigger!! Its insane lol
Posted via Mobile Device

sidluckman 07-29-2012 09:34 PM

Once many years ago I did a 75 % water change on a tank and forgot to put the prime in!

Yikes.

That was the only time I lost fish to chlorine poinsoning and it was BAD. Painful to watch. I lost two Synodontis Multipunctatus cats and A beautiful trio of adult Copadichromis Borleyii. I was sick about it!

That's what I get for hurrying!