Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   The 180 Live Plant experiment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/180-live-plant-experiment-108817/)

Pasfur 07-27-2012 07:47 PM

The 180 Live Plant experiment

5 Attachment(s)
So, here goes...

The anticipation...
Attachment 61015

A little creativity with some PVC, hopefully the future hope of Ram Cichlids...
Attachment 61016

The complete rock formation...
Attachment 61017

Waiting on plants...
Attachment 61018

Less than 1 hour after adding plants...
Attachment 61019

First round of fish tomorrow morning.

Boredomb 07-27-2012 09:19 PM

Pasfur the tanks looks great. I really like the hardscape! The rocks and driftwood look great the way you have them. Once the plants settle in and grow the whole setup will look awesome!
What fish are going to be in there?

jennesque 07-27-2012 10:27 PM

Looks great! I also love the hard scape. Can't wait to see this grow in!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jayy 07-27-2012 10:55 PM

Looks great! What fish do you plan to stock it with? Are you also getting a lighting fixture or is that it?

Olympia 07-27-2012 11:03 PM

This is AWESOME.
:-D
I saw the beautiful reef tank you got rid of for this. I love planted tanks way more than reef tanks, but all that hard work you must have put into it! But, sometimes destroying and then rebuilding is the best part I guess! :-D

BradSD 07-27-2012 11:36 PM

Very pretty tank and I love planted tanks as well. I do not know about Ram Cichlids but I hope they do not dig like my Cichlid tank. No way I could have plants with the ones that I have, the are like a road crew in there. The ones I have can change the entire aquascape in no time at all. Id actually like to switch over to a planted tank in my cichlid tank but I dont want to just give away my fish and start over.

Pasfur 07-28-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 1174495)
Looks great! What fish do you plan to stock it with? Are you also getting a lighting fixture or is that it?

This is it on the lighting. I have a single strip hidden behind that double strip, so 3 tubes. 2x6500k and one blue. I was originally going to do an Asian tank with only a couple large schools, but my wife of 3 years and 8 year old son have never participated in the freshwater side of the hobby, so I thought it would be more fun as a family to have an old fashioned community tank, let them enjoy the process of stocking fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1174505)
This is AWESOME.
:-D
I saw the beautiful reef tank you got rid of for this. I love planted tanks way more than reef tanks, but all that hard work you must have put into it! But, sometimes destroying and then rebuilding is the best part I guess! :-D

Honestly, I was bored and wanted something more of a challenge. Live plants are one thing I've yet to do in this hobby, so it was just a matter of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradSD (Post 1174536)
Very pretty tank and I love planted tanks as well. I do not know about Ram Cichlids but I hope they do not dig like my Cichlid tank.

Rams are very peaceful and stay small, about thumb size. They do move some rocks around a bit, but nothing major. I put some effort into making them a spot that I hope they call home, away from the majority of substrate rooting plants. My other option is a pair of Kribensis. It depends on how the community develops. Either way, these will be some of the last fish introduced so I have some time to decide.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is going to be fun.:-D

Olympia 07-28-2012 09:43 AM

Kribs and rams are both beautiful, how will you choose!
I love the little colorful bellies on Kribs though!
Posted via Mobile Device

MrMarc 07-29-2012 07:18 AM

I've seen that FOWLR tank you had and I believe you will enjoy this one far more. I can picture that lovely wife of yours arm deep trimming and pruning! Tell her I said Hi btw. Can't wait to see this project in person!...I've posted a couple pics of my Cichlid tank...but I'm sure I'll have to post others as after I pull most of the rock out to catch a couple of them, I doubt I can figure out how to get it back the way I had it :oops:

Pasfur 08-03-2012 09:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Day 8...
Attachment 61632Attachment 61633Attachment 61634