Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Gouramis (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/gouramis-10881/)

abbye 01-14-2008 03:22 PM

Gouramis

I have a couple of questions about gouramis... I had one male and one female in a tank full of platies, a molly and neon tetras. The female seemed always frightened and would hide all the time. This was understandable though because she had a male gourami chasing her (quite aggressively, didn't seem to be wanting to mate) and also my female molly used to chase her and nip her quite a lot. I put the molly in an mini isolation tank inside the big tank and when I released her back she was much less aggressive.. then she started up again. My gourami did not seem to come out much even when the molly was isolated, but then recently she started coming out again and seemed more confident (particularly when she spotted fry darting around). But I woke up the other morning and found her dead. I only got her this autumn. Does anyone have any suggestions why she might have died? Was it the stress of the male chasing her? Also, are gouramis usually so shy? I used a gravel vac the night before she died for the first time and noticed her sitting at the front, seeming in a daze and not moving much if I went near her. Could this new cleaning method have sent her into shock?

One more thing, the male is left in there now with all the other species and he doesn't seem to interact with them at all, he just stays on his own. Is he too lonely without another gourami or will he be fine? I don't want to get him another female to harrass and I've heard males can be aggressive to each other? Any advice appreciated! Thanks for reading all of this! :)

Lupin 01-14-2008 04:32 PM

Re: Gouramis

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbye
I have a couple of questions about gouramis... I had one male and one female in a tank full of platies, a molly and neon tetras. The female seemed always frightened and would hide all the time. This was understandable though because she had a male gourami chasing her (quite aggressively, didn't seem to be wanting to mate) and also my female molly used to chase her and nip her quite a lot. I put the molly in an mini isolation tank inside the big tank and when I released her back she was much less aggressive.. then she started up again. My gourami did not seem to come out much even when the molly was isolated, but then recently she started coming out again and seemed more confident (particularly when she spotted fry darting around). But I woke up the other morning and found her dead. I only got her this autumn. Does anyone have any suggestions why she might have died? Was it the stress of the male chasing her? Also, are gouramis usually so shy? I used a gravel vac the night before she died for the first time and noticed her sitting at the front, seeming in a daze and not moving much if I went near her. Could this new cleaning method have sent her into shock?

One more thing, the male is left in there now with all the other species and he doesn't seem to interact with them at all, he just stays on his own. Is he too lonely without another gourami or will he be fine? I don't want to get him another female to harrass and I've heard males can be aggressive to each other? Any advice appreciated! Thanks for reading all of this! :)

What were your water parameters last night? What size is the tank and what tankmates are in it? What was usually your tank maintenance schedule? You mentioned "new cleaning method". Could you please explain that? What species is this gourami?

A gourami will be fine by itself but it is usually best to keep a group with only one male as long as tank space permits it. Depending on the species, some are shy, some are not. Some are aggressive, some are not. A lot of male anabantids are indeed aggressive against each other. This scenario is similar to cichlids.

abbye 01-14-2008 05:57 PM

It's a 60 litre tank with the following fish: 2 male and 5 female platies, 1 female molly, 3 jumbo neon tetras (as well as the gourami) plus about 50 fry in a floating breeding tank. (I have written a tank blurb but cannot get it to show up on my posts, how do I do this?). I don't know about the water parameters I'm afraid, as I don't have a testing kit. Before I found all the fry, I used to do a water change once every 2 weeks or so but now I do it every few days. The new cleaning method is just the use of the gravel vac, which I tried out on Wednesday night. The male gourami is a dwarf gourami. Thanks.

SST 01-14-2008 08:05 PM

The tank blurb doesn't show up in your posts, but it will pop up when someone rolls their mouse over the "tank" button at the bottom of your posts.

LillieRoseBudBlossom 01-17-2008 02:17 PM

gourami dying

Abbye: I have 2 gourmai's and I needed to separate them both as one always seemed to be chasing the other. I doubt if 'stress' of the gravel cleaning did anything to your gourmai. Unfortunately, some appear healthy one day and die the next. It is nothing you did. Also, I don't think your other gourmai is lonely if there are other fish in the tank. I kept two of mine together for months before I purchased a 2nd tank. Since the separation, both seem to very happy. Don't blame yourself for the gourmai's passing....sorry to read that...